Needs some awareness please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
WM- for comparison, my DD has never complained of shoulder pain. she gets an elbow stinger from too much contact once in a while. I don't think she has ever pitched five games in a weekend though. I would take this seriously and see a doctor. Better safe than sorry. And next time her coach wants her to pitch that much tell him to abuse someone else's DD.

I didnt have an issue with the 5 games. It was one on Friday, two on Saturday and two on Sunday. So I really didn't think to much on the abuse. She was sore, which we figured she would be after that kind of weekend. After that tourney she pitched fine all the way till the end of all stars. Never complained at all? I'm banking that it may be the long month off of her not working out and not doing anything. She even tried to run foul pole to foul pole, and she got winded. She was like "dad, I need to get back in shape!" However the arm is no joke to be messing with. I made an appointment for tomorrow

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I didnt have an issue with the 5 games. It was one on Friday, two on Saturday and two on Sunday. So I really didn't think to much on the abuse. She was sore, which we figured she would be after that kind of weekend. After that tourney she pitched fine all the way till the end of all stars. Never complained at all? I'm banking that it may be the long month off of her not working out and not doing anything. She even tried to run foul pole to foul pole, and she got winded. She was like "dad, I need to get back in shape!" However the arm is no joke to be messing with. I made an appointment for tomorrow

Better to be safe than sorry! Keep us posted.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
WM...my DD's have never complained about their arm "hurting". My oldest will be a HS senior and has NEVER iced her arm in all her 8-9 years of pitching.

If your DD's arm "hurts" at the beginning of a session it's more than likely just sore, tight or tired.

If her arm hurts at the end of a session or has lingering pain afterwards it could be something else. If her arm hurts when she does "this" but not when she does "that"...or hurts when she "moves her arm like this" but not when she "moves her arm like that" then you have a problem that needs immediate attention.

Hope all turns out well...keep us posted.

T

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Agree with others, go see a doctor. Only time DD had shoulder pain pitching was when she pitched 3 games in a day including a 9 inning ITB (approx 400 pitches) and shoulder/bicep was sore for 3 days (Was fine after that).

This may be controversial but I think its important for pitchers to practice year-round to stay in pitching shape. In 6 years, the most consecutive days she has taken off is 2 weeks. She generally takes the last two weeks of December off and two weeks in summer. But we also limit pitching to about 30 - 40 minutes a session 3X a week and I try not to have her pitch consecutive days unless its a weekend tournament so the body can rest and heal itself on off days.

Knock on wood, she hasn't had an injury from pitching yet.

YES...KNOCK ON WOOD!...Neither have my daughters.

Feb 7, 2013
WM...my DD's have never complained about their arm "hurting". My oldest will be a HS senior and has NEVER iced her arm in all her 8-9 years of pitching.
T

Not to derail this thread but I'm glad to hear that about icing (or lack thereof). IMO, its like doing isolated wrist flips. Probably won't hurt you but more likely a waste of time. The reason you see pitchers at the college and pro level icing is because they have some chronic INJURIES that they acquired over the years and supposedly ice therapy helps with reducing swelling for the INJURY. Normal pitching should not be causing injuries. Occasional soreness and fatigue is normal. He see guys lifting heavy weights at the gym all the time and have sore arms and legs right after. Do you see these guys icing their quad, biceps, shoulders after every routine workout?

Sorry WM, I hope your DD gets well soon!

Aug 9, 2015
Glad you made an appointment. My dd went through little league shoulder and elbow problems at least until her growth plates closed. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
All advice above is good advice.

What style of pitcher is your DD? I ask because my DD pitched HE for years until one day she started saying her elbow and shoulder hurt. This went on for a couple of practices so I watched a couple of videos of her in slow motion. I started thinking the HE motion was causing the problem. After spending a lot of time reading on this forum, we made the transition to the whip about 1.5 years ago. Never looked back and no more pain complaints. I only wish we hadn't wasted those first four years of pitching time....

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Hello WarriorMike,

Do you have a video of your DD pitching? It could be a mechanical issue as well.

Heres where the bad habits started happening. This was our last game of all stars. Lots of leaning forward and using to much of her upper body. We saw her pitching coach last night and she just broke down mechanics again and she did a hell of a lot of stretching before doing snaps. She threw very light last night to check her mechanics back. Just slow motion with ball in hand was 95% praactice. Pitching coach noticed that she was using waaaaay to much arm and not enough lower body then previous history. So yea it was mechanics, she wasn't sore or didn't complain because of the light practice, but we still need to see DR and find out whats up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeutAWjGnX4

Start around the 9 min mark

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
Mike from what I see she using to much shoulder to release the ball. Please look at Rich Balswick video as well as your daughter it might give both you insight on how to fix your issue.

[video=youtube_share;ijHqW1ZpcV8]http://youtu.be/ijHqW1ZpcV8[/video]

Heres where the bad habits started happening. This was our last game of all stars. Lots of leaning forward and using to much of her upper body. We saw her pitching coach last night and she just broke down mechanics again and she did a hell of a lot of stretching before doing snaps. She threw very light last night to check her mechanics back. Just slow motion with ball in hand was 95% praactice. Pitching coach noticed that she was using waaaaay to much arm and not enough lower body then previous history. So yea it was mechanics, she wasn't sore or didn't complain because of the light practice, but we still need to see DR and find out whats up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeutAWjGnX4

Start around the 9 min mark

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32