Need Your Opinion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
wow...more responses than I expected. good recommendations. the association is telling me they have to witness it before they will do anything about it. i should clarify that i have spoken to this guy on a few occassions and asked him to take things down a notch, but we always end up right back where we are. i haven't gone to the board until now b/c i've tried to keep things civil (even still, i only got involved with the board b/c i had the complaint filed against me and had to go to a discovery meeting). our kids go to school together and we're in many of the same programs locally, so we cross paths quite a bit. i think the association is laying down on this one. we all sign a very extensive code of conduct, so the rules are black and white. i don't appreciate the association telling me how to run my team - and maybe that's my real beef at this point.

i bumped into another coach this morning at school (who is also on the board at the rec association). he advised to keep the guy "listed" as a coach, but don't give him any responsibilities at all (along the lines of what's being suggested here). i had originally requested he not be able to sit within earshot of the dugout, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen. i've got 2 other coaches and several parent volunteers, so i'll have plenty of help.

absdad - i made your exact point last night. deaf ears i'm afraid.

snocatzdad - the latest incident happened at the very end of a game last week. normally i do point out his behavior to him immediately and he'll pout about it for a few minutes then he's fine. this time i knew it was going to be a little more serious, so i didn't want to make a scene at the fields. i basically told him he's had more than his fair share of warnings and he's done as a coach on this team.

i agree - i need to keep the remaining rec games for the kids. he will not - in any way shape or form - be involved with the team when we play tournaments. unfortunately, his child is on the travel squad so he'll still be there. but dealing with him as a spectator is different than dealing with him as an assistant.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
My take on it is that if you are an assistant coach you may not always agree with what the manager does or says but you should support him / her100%. When you have rogue assistant coaches that do not respect the manager, your team is in big trouble. I applaud you for trying to keep the peace and team together and as someone pointed out, its a game for girls, played by the girls. Its not about the parents and coaching staff. We always need to keep that in perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32