Need some help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2019
My daughters pitching coach is teaching her the drop ball. It’s a turn over drop. She is having a hard time not leaning over to throw the pitch and ends up releasing the ball high. Any help would be appreciated

Oct 4, 2018
We do the turn-over drop as well. I was "this close" to giving up on it, but something clicked earlier this week and it's dropping. Fun to see, and we really wanted this pitch in her arsenal. Just seems so effective.

So while I don't have much advice, I guess what I'd say is to stick with it. We're at over 6 months, honestly. And the little sucker made the curve work in her first lesson with it. I guess some pitches are easier for some girls.

Jul 22, 2015
My daughters pitching coach is teaching her the drop ball. It’s a turn over drop. She is having a hard time not leaning over to throw the pitch and ends up releasing the ball high. Any help would be appreciated
My dd did the same at one point. Finally clicked after we pounded into her head that she has to "stay up to throw down". Also really helped her when her coach had her throw her drop off of a baseball pitcher's mound. He told her to picture throwing the drop downhill and the rise uphill in order to get the proper feel for hip position while still keeping the correct posture.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Leaning over which way, forwards, or to one side? I don't especially like the rollover drop, because you can get good topspin with a more natural fastball type release. If rolling over works for a pitcher I prefer the curve over the drop. When I teach the rollover I like to get them down on one knee (pitching arm knee on the ground), put the ball on the ground, and roll the fingers over the ball so it spins out in front of them. This is to give them a feel for the hand action, bent wrist position, and finger release.

Last edited:

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Does your pitching coach ever work on hitting spots? Just wondering.

Nov 18, 2015
I can't tell yet if my daughter's really throwing a drop, but I used what was in the other drop ball threads and condensed it down to:
1) throw it flat, and
2) follow through to your inner thigh (so a 'tighter' IR of the forearm). (I originally had a third - release it earlier, but that's pretty much the same as #1).

It looked like it was working right off the bat. (OK - maybe "from the start" is a better term?) However, as she already gets fairly consistent 12-6 spin on her fastball, not certain if it's really a drop, or a low fastball. I'll know more after she hopefully uses it in a game this weekend. Also can't tell you if it's peel or turnover, but Hillhouse's comments regarding how complex we tend to make this pitch encouraged me to keep it simple with the instruction and see if it worked.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I can't tell yet if my daughter's really throwing a drop, but I used what was in the other drop ball threads and condensed it down to:
1) throw it flat, and
2) follow through to your inner thigh (so a 'tighter' IR of the forearm). (I originally had a third - release it earlier, but that's pretty much the same as #1).

It looked like it was working right off the bat. (OK - maybe "from the start" is a better term?) However, as she already gets fairly consistent 12-6 spin on her fastball, not certain if it's really a drop, or a low fastball. I'll know more after she hopefully uses it in a game this weekend. Also can't tell you if it's peel or turnover, but Hillhouse's comments regarding how complex we tend to make this pitch encouraged me to keep it simple with the instruction and see if it worked.

A good way to tell is record from behind her. The other is to setup a horizontal string about 6ft from the net or “plate”. The string needs to be at the height of her release.

If a “drop” the ball should just skim the string and then move down. If just a low placed fast ball it will most likely go below the string.

Hope that makes sense. DD’s PC uses this during lessons and we’ve adopted it at home. Great tell when you’re trying to avoid getting hit by a moving ball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD might want to try this drill. My DD lived and died by her drop ball in college. She came up with the drill to get her release point correct.

The "tricky" part of the drill is to know which throws are good and which are bad.

The object of the drill is for the ball to come straight back up. The object is *NOT* to have the ball shoot forward due to the top spin. If the ball shoots forward, then the release was late.

So:

Throws 1, 4, 5, 7: Good.
Throws 2, 3, 6 Bad

May 20, 2019
We have been using the peel drop as my DDs primary pitch. She varies the "peel" and the speed to try to keep hitters off balance. However we are still working on hitting spots so trying to keep it simple while getting change of plane movement. We shall see if its effective or not this weekend at the first tournament this year. We are Hillhouse camp here also in the keep it simple methods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole