Need help with signs...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 17, 2009
OK - do any of you know a good site to help with "giving signs"? My husband is not completely comfortable with giving signs - he uses them of course but wishes he knew the best way to relay the info & signals to the girls where they remember them better. Specifically - what "terms" for field defense - like promting catcher to throw down to 3rd - maybe color terms or numbers? In your experience what works best for you??

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
One suggestion. After you come up with signs, work with each kid to see if they are LD. Many kids are lost when you give signs and parents and kids don't like to admit it. I swore once I would hit the next coach that said this kid is stupid. Each kid learns differently and coaches should be aware of it, if they are a good coach.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
A couple of suggestions I have are 1) whatever signs you come up with, work on them in gamelike situations as part of practices and 2) have your husband practice the signs in front of a mirror to see if he can recognize them.

Jan 15, 2009
A couple of suggestions I have are 1) whatever signs you come up with, work on them in gamelike situations as part of practices and 2) have your husband practice the signs in front of a mirror to see if he can recognize them.

With a new team I always incorporate signs into practice. Usually at a break time during practice we'll sit down grab some water and go over signs. another thing I've found useful for kids that have a hard time is to have them sit with an assistant (or me) and tell him/her what signs are being given to the batter by the 3B coach.

As far as giving signs, I'm terrible, but the key to not giving things away is to throw enough stuff out at different times that you don't have to race through signs to try to hide them. We always use some sort of indicator (i.e. until the indicator sign is given everything else is BS) an easy indicator might be touch your ear (listen up) touch your hat (heads up). Then you can give your bunt sign without an indicator regularly and it will not be so obvious when you do want to sneak it in. I usually don't use an indicator for baserunners, but to muddy the water there I will give baserunner signs (steal, delay steal, squeeze) with no baserunners on.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Mnemonic devices help. Like Swipe across chest and Steal both start with "S", or Bill of cap and Bunt both start with "B", that kind of thing.

If you print out a list or cheat sheet for girls to study and memorize, dont put team name on it. They will bring it with them to tournaments until theyve got it memorized and some may lose them there.

Start with the basics, and add more week by week. They cant remember or learn them all at once, especially if its all new to them. Take time like previously said to discuss and quiz at practice during water breaks, etc.

There will be mistakes and misunderstandings for a while. That is part of it.

Beware of the first base coach talking to baserunner, telling her good hit, etc. while the coach at 3B is giving the signals for next at bat. Too many times I have seen a baserunner miss a signal because her base coach distracted her, getting her blamed for a fouled up situation or even losing a game. She will pay attention first to the coach that is talking to her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207