Need help with off season progess please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Hi all I've posted some video. She's had steady progression over the past six months in both speed and spin, but the past few times she's pitched in both practice and games has noticed her velocity go down. The only thing I can pick out is that the glove arm seems to come across her body after release which I've never seen before. Maybe some fresh eyes can help me find some things to improve on? Thanks in advance.[video=youtube_share;_gozgomXxxk]http://youtu.be/_gozgomXxxk[/video]

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Sure there are always a few tweaks, but I think she looks pretty darned good!

One little thing would be to get the glove a hair higher and get good adduction with both elbows. I think it will help strengthen the legs, hips, torso connection.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I agree with DR so, I'm gonna go with the obvious. You said you noticed a drop in velocity in games and practice? Could it be that she is trying to force the pitch instead of just letting it happen? Trying to place or steer the ball will have a huge effect on velocity. Try filming her during a game and when she's just trowing for fun. Compare the two side by side and see if you can see any difference.

Jul 17, 2012
May not seem like a big deal, but does she ever have a point in the offseason where she rests? I mean a full 4 weeks of complete shutdown from throwing? You may be seeing fatigue set in. Maybe some exceptions out there. But most kids will benefit from an extended period of rest. It's actually highly recommended.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Have her start her transfer of weight at the same time she raises her hands... it will go a long way in setting her posture early.

Every inch of up she strides... is one less inch of out she could be getting. Have her focus on getting out from the rubber. It will help to firm up the right foot a little... not letting the heal sink. If you watch that foot... you can actually see it wobble... or like teeter-totter on the rubber. Tells me that she's not pushing as fast on contact as she could be... but instead just bearing weight on it. I would up the urgency off the plate.

Would also help to remain open a little longer. The netting blurs out her hand... but I think she MIGHT be getting behind the ball a little too soon.. as she appears to be throwing around her body, not across.

Keep up the good work!

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
She never really gets her whip going. There's two pivot points on the arm circle, it starts out with the shoulder and as you come down the backside the bicep will stabilize against the rib cage and a new pivot point will be established at the elbow as the forearm rotates through release. Pick out any of the top pitchers, solely focus on the upper arm as it stabilized against the ribcage for at least a split second...this is the whip and rotation. Watch your daughter's arm circle, it seems as though there is only one pivot point...and it is around the shoulder. I've attached a gif of Sarah Pauly, see if you can pick up her two pivot points.

SarahPauly_KDrill_zpse8ab2316.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks for all the great input! We will work on a more explosive drive out for sure and getting that glove arm up and down. When I watched my video again, and one I have of her from behind, I do see it seems like she is muscling the ball with her shoulder and closing too early so she is missing a lot of the whip and loosing that ability to stabilize the bicep while open. Lots of good stuff to work on! Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd