Need help with daughter swing, either lunging or hitting all ground balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
One more thing. Here she is at toe touch. Notice the bat head position.

Here is typical 30-50 deg bat position. She has to pull the bat 10-12 more inches than most. That's creating significant lag as well. So, point the bat head up more - at toe touch. It doesn't matter where it is when she starts in the stance.

May 8, 2019
View attachment 14487

To me it looks like she has been taught to drive the knob at the ball. Notice that in this pic her hands are ahead of the ball, and the bat head is still lagging back somewhere. This is not good.

No more 'knob to the ball' cues, and fence drills. These are killers.

Also notice that her front knee hasn't straightened, which means she's not using the front leg to finish rotating the hips. So, she has to push her arms at the ball. Notice her front bicep is way ahead of her torso.

I would do 3 things.
1) make sure she's using a box grip, not door knockers
2) stride 2-4 inches more using her back leg. Make sure she keeps her back heel on the ground until toe touch.
3) take practice swings from toe touch to hip slot where she takes her back elbow down and brings the bat head backwards toward the catcher in unison - a 1 for 1 match.

View attachment 14488

Then see where she is.
10/4 thanks, if you have any more advice I would greatly appreciate it

Jun 8, 2016
So right rear pocket to pitcher what happens to top half does it go with and also what about the hands
Her top half I would leave alone for now, just work on coiling with her rear hip and holding it as she moves out. If you want to work on the upper half have her think about pulling back as she moves out, e.g. trying to elbow somebody behind her. In her tee work she doesn't do that too bad actually.

May 12, 2016
I believe one of her biggest issues right now is the forward movement of the upper body after heel plant. If she learns to coil while striding forward, get the COM to 50/50, 60/40 during the stride while resisting with the backside and firming up the front side at heel plant a lot of issues will be resolved. A lot of this is covered in the Justin Stone vid I provided.. it's a great place to start when learning proper sequence and a good drill to revisit for sequence fundamentals

May 8, 2019
View attachment 14487

To me it looks like she has been taught to drive the knob at the ball. Notice that in this pic her hands are ahead of the ball, and the bat head is still lagging back somewhere. This is not good.

No more 'knob to the ball' cues, and fence drills. These are killers.

Also notice that her front knee hasn't straightened, which means she's not using the front leg to finish rotating the hips. So, she has to push her arms at the ball. Notice her front bicep is way ahead of her torso.

I would do 3 things.
1) make sure she's using a box grip, not door knockers
2) stride 2-4 inches more using her back leg. Make sure she keeps her back heel on the ground until toe touch.
3) take practice swings from toe touch to hip slot where she takes her back elbow down and brings the bat head backwards toward the catcher in unison - a 1 for 1 match.

View attachment 14488

Then see where she is.
Do you used and cues or sayings to help hitter

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_ptmjznoPG31usf292o1_540.gif

tumblr_ptmk4dikmo1usf292o1_250.gif

Last edited: