Help with daughter out on her front foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2022
My daughter is a pretty good 12U hitter. However, this is her last season of 12U and the combination of being very comfortable with 99% of 12U pitchers and seeing some slower pitchers has her developing a bad habit of lunging out on her front foot. She's losing all of her power and weakly popping up or "poking" the ball. No matter how many times I tell her to stay back, or go to right field, or follow her mechanics, she won't make the adjustment. Any drills or tips?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
There are several things that can cause this. Unless you post a video, we are all guessing.

Here are some things that can cause it:
1. Not striding far enough with the back leg and/or all-back over the back foot.
2. Not landing on a very bent front knee (front leg straight at landing)
3. Striding via hiking the front hip up, vs raising the knee
4. (After toe touch) Not taking the back elbow down to the belt, and spinning the shoulders level

"No matter how many times I tell her to stay back" Nobody knows what this means, that's why it doesn't work. What exactly is she keeping back? Maybe she is keeping her body over her back foot, which is making the problem worse, not better. I would not use this cue.

Feb 24, 2022
There are several things that can cause this. Unless you post a video, we are all guessing.

1. Not striding far enough with the back leg and/or all-back over the back foot.
4. (After toe touch) Not taking the back elbow down to the belt, and spinning the shoulders level

"No matter how many times I tell her to stay back" Nobody knows what this means, that's why it doesn't work. What exactly is she keeping back? Maybe she is keeping her body over her back foot, which is making the problem worse, not better. I would not use this cue.
Thanks for the reply - she is too anxious to start her swing and attack the ball instead of letting it come to her. Essentially her arms get almost fully extended out in front of her body before she makes contact - she has been working on keeping her hands tight to her body and coming across her chest with her hitting coach. But it's not necessarily a "mechanics" issue (as I can see it), but more of a timing issue. Seems like she is rushing through her swing and as a result is making first contact very late in the process when her coil has fully sprung already.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
All pre breaking balls hitters and inconsistent change of speeds or telegraphed change of speed. Most of these hitters start after release. Everything is quick, jumping at the ball.

Welcome to every coaches issue with that age group. Off average pitching you can hit despite those fast hard and late moves. They never get one legged usually.

Aug 20, 2017
Thanks for the reply - she is too anxious to start her swing and attack the ball instead of letting it come to her. Essentially her arms get almost fully extended out in front of her body before she makes contact - she has been working on keeping her hands tight to her body and coming across her chest with her hitting coach. But it's not necessarily a "mechanics" issue (as I can see it), but more of a timing issue. Seems like she is rushing through her swing and as a result is making first contact very late in the process when her coil has fully sprung already.
My dd has same issue. She smokes pitchers with velocity and struggle (similar issues you described) with slower velocity.

We have worked on controlling the stride with the rear leg, slower pitches in BP, ques of hit the ball the other way etc. The following drill has helped the most with the “feel” of allowing the ball to get deeper:

Stride Ahead but Stay Behind Tee Drill
Set up with the front foot even with the tee or maybe slightly ahead. Angle the screen towards the opposite field.
Take a normal swing (same rhythm and tempo)
If she lunges too far ahead of the ball she will mis hit it. Hit hard lines drives the other way.

This drill isn’t for everyone but I’ve found it effective to help lungers and hitters that are too early. They need to develop the feel of hitting balls deeper in the zone as opposed to out front. This drill will help with that.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
My dd has same issue. She smokes pitchers with velocity and struggle (similar issues you described) with slower velocity.

We have worked on controlling the stride with the rear leg, slower pitches in BP, ques of hit the ball the other way etc. The following drill has helped the most with the “feel” of allowing the ball to get deeper:

Stride Ahead but Stay Behind Tee Drill
Set up with the front foot even with the tee or maybe slightly ahead. Angle the screen towards the opposite field.
Take a normal swing (same rhythm and tempo)
If she lunges too far ahead of the ball she will mis hit it. Hit hard lines drives the other way.

This drill isn’t for everyone but I’ve found it effective to help lungers and hitters that are too early. They need to develop the feel of hitting balls deeper in the zone as opposed to out front. This drill will help with that.
Very good drill, you could say it’s a necessary location to learn. deep arc and out from.

Oct 3, 2019

I’ve wondered if having them stride onto an incline would help give the feel of staying back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles