Need help with daughter swing, either lunging or hitting all ground balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
She is out of sequence, swinging from top down. She needs to swing from ground up. She is using the arms, shoulders to hit. She needs to use legs and core. Have her hit thinking hit with her legs. Maintain tension in legs. Once she does that try to get her to think work rearward with upper body. Preach stay behind the ball over and over! JMHO

May 12, 2016
to me her tee work looks awesome.. If her live swings look like the attached link, more than likely she's just not patient and is going after the ball too early. Work on just waiting via timing the launch correctly. If she gets to her tee swing when live against a pitcher, she'll be fine

edited to infer, tee not perfect (maybe back knee angle a little outside of the foot) but way different and better than live swing
OP, please don't take offense, I know you are looking for feedback and I will be honest...IMO her tee work looks better, but I don't believe it's awesome...sorry. She's hitting a lot of ground balls because she's coming out of her swing. If you notice she gets to heel plant and then shifts and swings after.. during this movement her back foot kicks way forward and her body actually stands taller. She's probably hitting a lot of ground balls because her head starts low and then rises through out her swing.

Again IMO, she has a all back,all forward type movement. Also, If you look at any of the greats you will see at heel plant forward movement of the body has ceased.. she's lunging because her body continues forward (including hands) after heel plant. For example check out Vlad jr.

or DiCarlo

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
With regards to her game swing she isn't getting any coil around her back hip at all. She is just shifting everything to the front foot. Have her think about taking her right pocket and turning it to the pitcher and then try to hold that as she moves out. When you have her do this on front toss, throw the ball to the outside corner and give her a goal of hitting line drives over the 2nd baseman's head. Once you get the lower half fixed you can start to work on the upper half if necessary. She is pushing right now but getting everything forward like that she has no choice but to push.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Her tee swing looks to be using mostly upper body to power the swing. That’s why she’s lunging. It goes back to what others have said. Fix the lower half and the upper half may fix itself. At heel plant we want the body to rotate on axis (no more forwards movement). Get her front hip working backwards hard, get upper body to feel like it works rearwards at heel plant (it will not but it will prevent the upper body from lunging), and focus on powering swing with the legs

May 8, 2019
OP, please don't take offense, I know you are looking for feedback and I will be honest...IMO her tee work looks better, but I don't believe it's awesome...sorry. She's hitting a lot of ground balls because she's coming out of her swing. If you notice she gets to heel plant and then shifts and swings after.. during this movement her back foot kicks way forward and her body actually stands taller. She's probably hitting a lot of ground balls because her head starts low and then rises through out her swing.

Again IMO, she has a all back,all forward type movement. Also, If you look at any of the greats you will see at heel plant forward movement of the body has ceased.. she's lunging because her body continues forward (including hands) after heel plant. For example check out Vlad jr.

or DiCarlo

No offense taking at all, just when you critique at something over and over you miss something so I figure I would post and get some feedback

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
For her tee work, put the tee deeper. Have it such that when she makes contact the ball is between her front knee and front foot.
The tee should be placed where you expect to make contact, which would be at the ball of the front foot, after the stride. [outside pitches are usually hit near the heel of the front foot]

Her tee is in the right spot.

9348823_f520.jpg

How do I know where to make contact? Take your stride, then turn your hips. Now put your elbow in your hip, and then you will hit the ball just ahead of your hands. then eureka.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

To me it looks like she has been taught to drive the knob at the ball. Notice that in this pic her hands are ahead of the ball, and the bat head is still lagging back somewhere. This is not good.

No more 'knob to the ball' cues, and fence drills. These are killers.

Also notice that her front knee hasn't straightened, which means she's not using the front leg to finish rotating the hips. So, she has to push her arms at the ball. Notice her front bicep is way ahead of her torso.

I would do 3 things.
1) make sure she's using a box grip, not door knockers
2) stride 2-4 inches more using her back leg. Make sure she keeps her back heel on the ground until toe touch.
3) take practice swings from toe touch to hip slot where she takes her back elbow down and brings the bat head backwards toward the catcher in unison - a 1 for 1 match.

Then see where she is.

May 8, 2019
With regards to her game swing she isn't getting any coil around her back hip at all. She is just shifting everything to the front foot. Have her think about taking her right pocket and turning it to the pitcher and then try to hold that as she moves out. When you have her do this on front toss, throw the ball to the outside corner and give her a goal of hitting line drives over the 2nd baseman's head. Once you get the lower half fixed you can start to work on the upper half if necessary. She is pushing right now but getting everything forward like that she has no choice but to push.
So right rear pocket to pitcher what happens to top half does it go with and also what about the hands

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28