Need Coaching decision help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Background:

2nd year 12U - Class B in ASA
Have 12 girls signed up
Have a new girl (13th) coming in because of below issue.

2 of the original 12 play travel basketball in the spring/summer. They played with me 2 years ago and only missed 1 full tournament and then 3 other games but played in State.

However this year due to a change in the calendar and the State Tournament schedule they have a conflict with the State ASA tournament and a BB tournament out of state. I was just informed of this issue this week and all intentions are they will be going to the BB tournament.

Do I keep them on the roster and play the season with 13 on most days?
Do I cut them loose and play with 11, possibly look to pick up another?

The main issue I have is our teams goal is to go into state ready to win and I am really having a hard time having 2 players take up time (1 is a top pitcher) on the field and at bats from other players that I am going to rely on when it really matters at state.

I am also considering going to a post-season (after state) tournament for the first time. Looking at the 2 schedules the BB girls would not be available for any of the post season games.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
13 is 2 players to many. Been through this before and you will have nothing but headaches trying to balance playing time and keeping parents happy. This can also drive a wedge between you and some of your team. If your goals are set work toward them w/o the two who will not be there.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is a tough one that most coaches face at one time or another. It seems your dreams will be cast aside if you cut them loose, yet your passions are that they have let the team down. I guess basketball would be in the same boat if your two girls told the coach they were not going to be playing some games this weekend because they were going to an out of State tournament with their Softball team. It rubs you raw! I had this problem facing the 8 time (straight) State champions in softball. We had 3 varsity girls that went on a band trip to California. I hated it, but then again their life isn't only softball. We got beat 4-2 on a 3 run bloop single in the bottom of the 6th inning. I had CF, LF, and IB abandoned by the band trip players. I put my 3B in centerfield because we were so weak now. I really only had 7 varsity players in reality to begin with! She was peeved and just stood there and let the ball drop 20 feet from her. The ball bounced toward RF and the LF'er came over and retrieved the ball. But the bases were cleared. The CF'er never moved! It was the only ball she got the whole game. Her mother told the newspaper, "She is entitled to play 3B!" Yeah, and I was entitled to bench her!

These issues are complex. But if you think about it, you may be forcing choices; BB or SB? In my case I would discuss it with the other players while they are gone.

Jul 26, 2010
The number of tournaments you play in your season will help you decide how many players is too many. My DD's 14u (98) team is playing 15 tournaments from now until the end of July (not including nationals if they qualify). That's a lot of tournaments, and a some months have 4 tournaments every weekend. They are carrying 13 girls, due to the chance of injury and the liklihood of players missing a tournament for family obligations. For them, 13 girls makes sense. Their 14u (97) team is carrying 11 girls, because their players are in high school and will only play 8 tournaments (they can't play until the end of May when HS tournaments are over in California). This makes sense due to their abbreviated schedule and lesser liklihood of injuries. Being able to bump a player or two up from the younger 98 team if necessary also gives them a buffer.

Take a look at your schedule and decide how often you want to have 4 on the bench.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
As a coach, you establish your program's primary goals each season and then when you're building your team, you should do so with the players and parents who are ready to support what you are hoping to accomplish. If the goal is to take a competitive team into post-season play, then you should build your team around players who intend to be there.

These young women have told you that basketball is their priority and that their goals for this year are not in line with the team's goals for the year. I understand how difficult it is to replace a quality pitcher, but that's something you'd be better off dealing with now as opposed to waiting. If she is that good, then she should have no problem getting plenty of innings as a pick-up player.

I agree with John T that 13 is too many players for a 12u 'B' team, even if you're anticipating a lot of absences. I would have a conversation individually with the players and their families and inform them that they're being cut, but that they'd be welcome to play the next friendly or tournament with the team as a sort of farewell if they wished.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As I see it, the girls are 12 and are in B ball. I would go with 13. The girls are too young to be specializing. (I wouldn't like them going to basketball, though.) I might tell them, that if you move up to 14U A ball, they will have to choose.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I always had a core of 11 players. I'd ask months in advance for dates from parents on weekends they would miss. ( vacations etc ) I'd also keep me 2-3 that I could call for pickups. They were less than A level but better than C. It's also a good idea to keep the lines open with other local TB teams. There are times when you need to borrow a player or loan one when the other team can't field 9 players or they are simply taking the weekend off.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
IMO, you're going to have 11 players for states, and you need to figure out where they are going to play and how they are going to do. The other tournaments leading up to states are meaningless (do you really care that you won "XYZ" tourney in April?), and if you keep the 2 BB players, the team you win with at those tournaments will be different than the one you take to states. I would let them stay of the team, but they should know they will take a diminished role. Use those early tournaments to get the girls ready for states, which means using your core 11 girls for elimination games. You need to develop a new #1 pitcher, and that is not going to happen if she is #2 all season up until states. Using your #1 to win early tournament games knowing she won't be there for the most important weekend of the year makes no sense to me.

Jul 26, 2010
I have to disagree with PASBDad. The softball season for a 12 year old is not measured by wins and losses, or even a state championship tournament. The tournament is meaningless with all things considered. They'll never remember the score, or if they even won or lost, or what that particular dusty trophy in the closet was ever for. You're doing the girls a disservice by planning their softball season around a single meaningless event.

- W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IMO, you're going to have 11 players for states, and you need to figure out where they are going to play and how they are going to do. The other tournaments leading up to states are meaningless (do you really care that you won "XYZ" tourney in April?), and if you keep the 2 BB players, the team you win with at those tournaments will be different than the one you take to states. I would let them stay of the team, but they should know they will take a diminished role. Use those early tournaments to get the girls ready for states, which means using your core 11 girls for elimination games. You need to develop a new #1 pitcher, and that is not going to happen if she is #2 all season up until states. Using your #1 to win early tournament games knowing she won't be there for the most important weekend of the year makes no sense to me.

Only advantage to winning x,y,z tourneys is seeding for state. Certain sanctions seed by points so you can have the upper hand. Pool play is optional and has no bearing on seeds.

I totally agree with your pitching perspective.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd