Need a 12u team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 16, 2010
We have recently moved to the Savannah GA area and can't seem to find a 12u team that will take my daughter. She has been a catcher for 5 years but everyone seems to think anyone can catch. Are we the only ones that see the importance of a compentate catcher? What do I have to do to get coaches to see that not everyone wants to be a pitcher? No team in college is made of entirely catchers why is that the case is youth ball?!? Any ideas of teams or should I just start a team and prove the rest wrong!?!:confused:

Apr 13, 2010
I'm amazed you are hearing that. Where I live catching is just as coveted as pitching. Doesn't someone have to catch and hold the 3rd strike? Block the wild one.

If I was in Georgia I'd give your daughter a shot.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
For the teams that I’ve coached, we have always had our pitchers and catchers show up to practice 45 minutes early. This gives them more time together and gives the other coaches a better insight into each pitchers and catcher's mechanics and tendencies. The only problem is, for years, my DD would have to come early with me to practice. We always needed an extra catcher for these early practices. Consequently, she had to catch a pitcher. She is an outfielder and loves playing the outfield. Over the years though, she has developed into a very adequate 3rd string catcher. She usually will catch a few innings in pool games on hot days to give the regular catchers a break. This year she has moved up an age group and I honestly believe she made that team because of her ability to play catcher.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I can't think of a single team or coach that would not at least give a catcher a tryout. So, what's wrong with this picture?:confused:

You say that you

...can't seem to find a 12u team that will take my daughter...:

What exactly does this mean? Have you contacted teams and they all said "no thanks, we're good"? Or did she tryout and not make any teams? Is she as good as you think she is? Or did the coaches pick up on something that said to them "stay away from this kid's crazy parents"?:confused:

You give me some insight by saying the following:

......should I just start a team and prove the rest wrong!?!:confused:

Don't know, but some things to think about.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I guess I need to start recruiting catchers from the Georgia area! In Texas, catching depth is at least as important as pitching depth. I can hardly imagine a team not being interested in a competent (with a bat) much less a top level one.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Well my opinion is

Your team is only as good as its #2 or alternate catcher. Every team better have a good reliable back up or their going to be in trouble should something happen. During a game isn't the right time to be trying to teach someone signals and go over blocking/framing techniques. imo

On our team, we have a primary catcher, but our other girls get a lot of work to stay fresh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd