NCAA/NJCAA - What's the call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Saw it Friday night at NJCAA - Florida State Tournament.

• Runners at the corners.
  • Pitcher starts her motion and continues past her hip and around again committing an IP.
  • Meanwhile both runners leave the bag, just prior to the IP.

What is the call?

Feb 15, 2017
The offensive coach chooses first, he can either take the advance of the runners, or a ball and the runners back at first. The defense then gets to choose what to enforce as leaving early is a delayed dead ball. If the offense picked the advance then the defense could take two outs for leaving early.

Am I close?

I would think the offense would take the ball for the pitch and runners back at first which would prevent leaving early.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
If it was the illegal pitch that caused the runners to leave base before the release of the ball then the leaving early is ignored.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
3-5-12 12.20 10.8 15.2.13

Runner Leaves Early, Illegal Pitch, Pitcher Holds Ball

Play: Pitcher makes three revolutions with her arm before letting go of the pitch. After the first revolution, the base runner on first base leaves early. OR Pitcher correctly and legally follows the pitching rules except does not release the pitch causing the base runner to erroneously leave the base in anticipation of the release.

Ruling: This is an exception to the typical effect for the double violation of leaving early and an illegal pitch. If the pitcher fails to deliver the pitch in the legal manner causing the base runner to leave early in anticipation of the proper release of the pitch, the defensive head coach is not rewarded with having the option of selecting the outcome. Instead, enforce only the penalty for illegal pitch and warn both the pitcher and head coach that a repeat of this unsporting behavior will result in their ejection.

I stand corrected

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32