When should plate umpire make call at 1B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
We had a play in a 10U rec game last night that puzzled me. There was one out, with a runner on 2B. Batter hit the ball to SS and SS threw to 1B. Field umpire was positioned behind SS due to runner being at 2B. Throw from SS was slightly off, possibly pulling the 1B off the base. Field umpire never made a call, but plate umpire, who was standing just in front of home plate (in fair territory) on the 3B side called the runner safe and made the motion with both hands to indicate the 1B came off the base. Meanwhile the runner who was on 2B is rounding 3B and heading home. Plate umpire never sees the runner but 1B does and attempts to throw home with plenty of time to get the runner. The catcher is standing on home, ready to receive the ball, but 1B starts, then stops, her throwing motion because the plate umpire is standing right where she would be throwing the ball, waving her arms. Runner scores without a throw.

Questions:

Should plate umpire have made the call without field umpire asking for help? Where should plate umpire have been positioned? Should the runner have been allowed to score?

Feb 24, 2021
Twin Cities
Im not an umpire so I cant say when a plate umpire should make a call, but in this case, it seems like the plate umpire would have a better look as to 1B coming off the bag. I dont know why she would ask for help when she is looking directly at the play?
With the positioning....probably not the best spot. That said, the umpires are part of the field of play and the run should absolutely be allowed. Its tough at 10u, but the player need to throw the ball. It isnt her job to get the umpire out of the way.

Aug 25, 2019
The call at first is the base umpire call, even if they are standing behind SS. It's the worst call for an umpire to make since the distance and angle. The plate umpire should not make the call unless the base umpire asks for help. As for the run at home, @Clint19 is right, the umpire is part of the field, and even if it is the umpires fault for being in a bad position, the run still counts.
As for positioning, plate umpires have been trained to follow the batter/runner up the line when no one is on base, but in this instance the plate umpire should of been on the first base line extended so they can also see what the runner at 2nd is going to do.
I commend your league for having two umpires for a 10u game, we usually only have ond, but then again, the newer umpires usually work these games.

Mar 20, 2019
Just curious is what is the reasoning behind having the base umpire responsible for the call at first? I know that's the proper mechanics but seems a little illogical to not have the closest umpires watch the runners in this case Plate watches 1 and Field watches the runer at 2. Just curious if there's any reasoning besides that's the way it's always been.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2010
In general, the base umpire has calls at 1st and 2nd, plate at 3rd and home. There are notable exceptions and the mechanics can result in a bad angle. Good umpires work to improve the angle.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just curious is what is the reasoning behind having the base umpire responsible for the call at first? I know that's the proper mechanics but seems a little illogical to not have the closest umpires watch the runners in this case Plate watches 1 and Field watches the runer at 2. Just curious if there's any reasoning besides that's the way it's always been.

You see what happened when the umpire in the original post mistakenly left where he was meant to be - there was a play at home and the umpire wasn't in a position to make the call (and in fact stopped the fielder from making a play).
There are a few reasons...
  • While it is a tough call, the side on view of the runner/base/fielder (all the elements) is still better from 'C' than from the plate where they have a poor view of pretty much everything except a pulled foot. It isn't a great angle. In GENERAL I try to get from 'C' to reasonably close to the pitcher's circle to make the call (hustle...)
  • If the field umpire is in 'C' (i.e. between 2nd and 3rd) that means there is a runner at either 2nd or 3rd and the PU has a priority to take that lead runner who is probably going to score and most likely to have a tag/close play on.
  • The mechanics are not designed for 2 umpires - they are designed for 3 (or more). With 3 there is always going to be an umpire in good position to make the call. While 3-man isn't as common, there has to be a level of consistency - you don't want habits to have to change as you go from one to the other.
There are some other mechanical guidelines (FU has first throw in the infield except at home, PU has lead runner on a hit with runners on, etc, etc... but the above is probably the main reasons.

Mar 20, 2019
You see what happened when the umpire in the original post mistakenly left where he was meant to be - there was a play at home and the umpire wasn't in a position to make the call (and in fact stopped the fielder from making a play).
There are a few reasons...
  • While it is a tough call, the side on view of the runner/base/fielder (all the elements) is still better from 'C' than from the plate where they have a poor view of pretty much everything except a pulled foot. It isn't a great angle. In GENERAL I try to get from 'C' to reasonably close to the pitcher's circle to make the call (hustle...)
  • If the field umpire is in 'C' (i.e. between 2nd and 3rd) that means there is a runner at either 2nd or 3rd and the PU has a priority to take that lead runner who is probably going to score and most likely to have a tag/close play on.
  • The mechanics are not designed for 2 umpires - they are designed for 3 (or more). With 3 there is always going to be an umpire in good position to make the call. While 3-man isn't as common, there has to be a level of consistency - you don't want habits to have to change as you go from one to the other.
There are some other mechanical guidelines (FU has first throw in the infield except at home, PU has lead runner on a hit with runners on, etc, etc... but the above is probably the main reasons.
Great explanation thanks

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Another partial explanation for why the BU has the runner and PU stays at the plate is this: The most important runner is the lead runner (closest to scoring and effecting the outcome of the game) the umpire with the best position on the scoring play is the PU. Therefore, the PU has the responsibility to cover the play on the lead runner at the plate.

Jun 27, 2021
Field umpire should have made the call. Only time the plate umpire is brought in on the play at 1B is when you as the coach ask for help and it has be exact. " we would like help from the plate umpire, due to being out place to make the call"

Without being there it sounds like a younger guy learning or an older guy too slow but both are relying on the plate to get them through the game.

Jun 13, 2018
you as the coach ask for help and it has be exact. " we would like help from the plate umpire, due to being out place to make the call"
That's not exact enough. The question should be precise. E.g. "did F3 pull her foot?", or "Did F3 miss the tag?". Hopefully one umpire will never go to another just because a coach thinks he missed a call.

Attachments

• 1633539508338.png
    1633539508338.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad