NCAA - Men vs. Women

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Interesting - since it is clear from TV schedules that college softball is broadcast far more than college baseball now.

The other thing is how the bracket schedule is created for the men versus woman. While there is SOME regionality in baseball brackets - it is completely regional in softball to keep travel costs to the absolute minimum. This hurts long term development of non-power 5 teams:

For example; in Florida unless you get a regional (which is REALLY hard), for all the D1 teams in statethere is no way to get past the first round; since you will ALWAYS be in the regional with Florida or FSU (and occasionally USF), no matter your national ranking.
A few years ago USF had a pretty decent team and would have beaten quite a few of the non SEC teams but ended up having to play the Florida regional. I think Florida ended up in the CWS.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
And, lest we forget the NCAA also governs DII and DIII where the disparities are often much greater regarding the male vs female athletic teams and facilities.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And, lest we forget the NCAA also governs DII and DIII where the disparities are often much greater regarding the male vs female athletic teams and facilities.

So, my DD#3's D3 hoops team made the girls share beds on away trips--which made no sense to me. No kid was under 5'6", and most were over 5'10".

Of course, the men basketball players all got separate beds.

(FYI: My DD#3 is 6'3" with the wing span of a B-57.)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The article spent lots of time talking about the inequities while simultaneously mentioning a steady stream of improvements. Both are simultaneously true, and HOF Stadium a pretty nice facility. Is it as nice as the baseball college world series ballpark? No, but the NCAA didn't build either one. Despite the NCAA's recent threats, I'm not sure where the WCWS moves to in the near term that would allow more than 13K fans but not be playing on a baseball-size field...not a great look.

Personally, I like the fastpitch game more than baseball on any level. However, the truth is that baseball is far bigger and the college game feeds MLB.

The "condensed" schedule of the WCWS is, to me, one of its advantages. Stretching it out could make it harder to watch. Seeing as double-headers are common, even on consecutive days in the regular season, I'm not sure what's so grueling about them in tournament play. These players grew up playing lots of softball...more than one game per day and consecutive playing days shouldn't be difficult.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Despite the NCAA's recent threats, I'm not sure where the WCWS moves to in the near term that would allow more than 13K fans but not be playing on a baseball-size field...not a great look.
I hope they move it. The state doesn’t deserve it.

Jun 8, 2016
I respectfully disagree, but if I go further than that, this thread gets interrupted. There are many states heading the same direction.
Of course you do. They passed a law knowing the possibility that there would a possible 100 million dollar loss in revenue to address something which hasn’t been an issue just for political reasons. That is stupid regardless of the law. The state has no money to begin with but I guess if we all pray enough all of those hungry kids in the state will get enough to eat.

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure what that means. You don't know me, so I'm not sure where that comes from other than you having trouble with anyone disagreeing with you. Frankly, everything that followed was just as nonsensical.
👍

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32