NCAA - Men vs. Women

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Interesting - since it is clear from TV schedules that college softball is broadcast far more than college baseball now.

The other thing is how the bracket schedule is created for the men versus woman. While there is SOME regionality in baseball brackets - it is completely regional in softball to keep travel costs to the absolute minimum. This hurts long term development of non-power 5 teams:

For example; in Florida unless you get a regional (which is REALLY hard), for all the D1 teams in statethere is no way to get past the first round; since you will ALWAYS be in the regional with Florida or FSU (and occasionally USF), no matter your national ranking.

Aug 25, 2019
Hmmm, like everyone here, I enjoy watching college softball, especially the World Series. And as a big fan of MLB (Let’s Go Mets!). I’ve never watched a college baseball game, have zero desire to watch one. I never knew it was as popular as softball.

Jul 5, 2016
I like that softball has a better tempo than baseball. And somewhere along the line, I realized that the quality of play in high-level softball is as good as high-level baseball in terms of athleticism and numbers of errors and that sort of thing.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Good points made in the article. Facilities need to improve. One challenge is that Omaha might have more competition of other facilities in the country that could beat it out in a bid (there are more 'neutral' first-class baseball facilities by far than the same in softball). OKC doesn't have many competitors (perhaps no other legit competitors) so might be less inclined to give the NCAA what it wants for the NCAA's price. But regardless, it sounds from the article like the NCAA needs to push harder for more.

Another point raised was that the baseball world series is played on 12 days while the softball world series in 7.

Not sure why that's a problem, but I'm open-minded to other opinions. The article brings up the time in 2007 with Taryne Mowatt threw over 1,000 pitches over 6-7 days. But if you make the WCWS any longer, then it becomes more about who has the single best pitcher since she then can throw every game. She already does that in some cases (ig, Rachel Garcia in 2019). The 12 days vs. 7 days is justified because the sports are just different, IMO. Also, the 7 days keep my interest longer, and might help attendance because you can see more games/teams in a shorter period of time.

Jun 8, 2016
Where would it go? I haven't been following any news regarding that, so I'm in the dark. How many softball stadiums can accommodate it that aren't on a campus that might provide home-field advantage?
No idea. OK just passed legislation which isn’t too popular with the NCAA..

Jun 8, 2016
“The NCAA has agreed to keep the softball championship in Oklahoma until 2035”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That information may have been collected before the recent passed legislation..not sure of the timeline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes