NCAA - Men vs. Women

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2016
Not sure what that means. You don't know me, so I'm not sure where that comes from other than you having trouble with anyone disagreeing with you. Frankly, everything that followed was just as nonsensical.

Says the guy who is having trouble with someone disagreeing with him.

Aug 8, 2016
Though I will also say, this will be a good litmus test for the men vs women inequity brought up in this thread. If memory serves correct, the ncaa has removed some national men's events for state legislation that they did not agree with. Does that happen with women's events too?

Nov 8, 2020
Nothing but virtue signaling drivel..... which is to be expected by a fish wrap as awful as the Washington Post.

Has this Molly lady ever even been to either the CWS or WCWS? Does she understand that the NCAA doesn't own these facilities but has to rent them? Or that the men's facility is larger because the field is larger? Or that the men's facility belongs to a pro men's team?
If she and her ilk would actually spend their money going to watch and support women's sports at the rate others spend money watching and supporting men's sports, then women could have pro softball stadiums as nice as the pro baseball stadiums.

What do we compare and complain about next? Remember how mad Duckie was when he was thrown in to the girls bathroom in Pretty in Pink only to realize that the girls had doors on their stalls, mirrors and cool vending machines? At my HS there were stainless steel troughs to pee in to and 2 stainless steel toilets with no stall doors in the boys restrooms. I can't imagine the girls restroom were equally equipped

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
Nothing but virtue signaling drivel..... which is to be expected by a fish wrap as awful as the Washington Post.

Has this Molly lady ever even been to either the CWS or WCWS? Does she understand that the NCAA doesn't own these facilities but has to rent them? Or that the men's facility is larger because the field is larger? Or that the men's facility belongs to a pro men's team?
If she and her ilk would actually spend their money going to watch and support women's sports at the rate others spend money watching and supporting men's sports, then women could have pro softball stadiums as nice as the pro baseball stadiums.

What do we compare and complain about next? Remember how mad Duckie was when he was thrown in to the girls bathroom in Pretty in Pink only to realize that the girls had doors on their stalls, mirrors and cool vending machines? At my HS there were stainless steel troughs to pee in to and 2 stainless steel toilets with no stall doors innowe boys restrooms. I can't imagine the girls restroom were equally equipped

Exposed is the root of your bitter resentment toward woman. A need for privacy urinating.

Jul 5, 2016
Opinions about the WaPo not withstanding, women's sports have historically and still do received 2nd class treatment despite offering a really good product in many cases. The Kentucky-Texas volleyball last night, for example, was top notch.

The NCAA are in a position to do something about this. I think they will in time. They are under growing pressure to actually focus on their stated mission - amateur college athletics.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The article spent lots of time talking about the inequities while simultaneously mentioning a steady stream of improvements. Both are simultaneously true, and HOF Stadium a pretty nice facility.

We call this the 'be happy with better scraps and leftovers attitude' locally. Softball is slowly getting better scraps, but baseball doesn't understand why we are still not happy. Scraps are still scraps.

It has taken literally 12 years of work, but through sheer hard work and relationship building with our local city, parks & recs and the county, we are --somewhere-- near equal opportunity with baseball now. We have the same level of field assignment per player, access to run tournaments, storage, field crews, etc. It continues to be a constant battle but it has been worth all the work.

The "condensed" schedule of the WCWS is, to me, one of its advantages. Stretching it out could make it harder to watch. Seeing as double-headers are common, even on consecutive days in the regular season, I'm not sure what's so grueling about them in tournament play. These players grew up playing lots of softball...more than one game per day and consecutive playing days shouldn't be difficult.

As a fan watching, love the amount of games and the availability to watch them.

But for the players - the amount of energy and focus it takes to play a tournament game is HUGE. Everything is magnified. The intensity level rises up, focus and energy levels are way up. Every pitch and action is more important. It is just different. I was lucky enough as a player (basketball) to play international tournament finals and in a NCAA tournament - you just had nothing left to give after coming off the court.

You come off a 7 inning close game in playoffs you are totally spent - more than a regular season game or some weekend travel tournament with multiple games. To come back in a few hours and do it again (and often again... and again)... that is brutal especially if you are learning on a pitcher or even two.

And softball rosters still have very limited pitching arms available. Went to a local college D1 baseball game - one team had 17 pitchers on their roster. The other had 22. That is the full roster of all players for a lot of college softball teams.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
We call this the 'be happy with better scraps and leftovers attitude' locally. Softball is slowly getting better scraps, but baseball doesn't understand why we are still not happy. Scraps are still scraps.

It has taken literally 12 years of work, but through sheer hard work and relationship building with our local city, parks & recs and the county, we are --somewhere-- near equal opportunity with baseball now. We have the same level of field assignment per player, access to run tournaments, storage, field crews, etc. It continues to be a constant battle but it has been worth all the work.

I guess it is very local. Where I am, the city park and rec softball facilities are just as good as the baseball. Similarly, the HS baseball and softball fields are in the same complex, both are constructed exactly the same except for the dimensions, and both share an indoor practice facility. Some HS softball programs in the region have dedicated indoor facilities so large that younger age groups can play games in them. I'm not saying there aren't inequities and areas that need improvement, but I see more than "scraps". Ultimately, baseball remains larger and is ultimately more of a moneymaker than softball. At DD's HS, there are dozens that try out for two strong softball teams. There are well over a hundred trying out for three baseball teams every year.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020
Exposed is the root of your bitter resentment toward woman. A need for privacy urinating.
My only resentment is for the narrative that women deserve the exact same as men even if that means taking from the men who earn it and giving it to the women who did not.

There is simply more interest in men's sports than there is in women's sports, you can not argue against that fact. Males, by a higher percentage of their population, like sports more than females and will watch men's sports far more often than they will watch women's sports.

Nobody is making the argument that men's sports are any more difficult to play or even better to watch, just watched by more people. Sports dollars are just entertainment dollars. Females have other interests and spend their entertainment dollars on other things. For example, female models make far more money than male models, but you won't see that covered in WaPo.

When the interest and eyeballs are equal between the genders sports, the the pay/amenities are equal as well, take tennis, in the US the women make more than the men do in tennis because the women's game has more interest than the men's. When fastpitch softball has the interest level that baseball has, we will see everything else level out.

In 2019, Alabama lead the nation in home attendance for softball. The tide averaged 2,750 fans per game. LSU lead the nation in home attendance for baseball. The tigers averaged 10,555 fans per game.

It really is that simple, you want more, earn more

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
As a fan watching, love the amount of games and the availability to watch them.

But for the players - the amount of energy and focus it takes to play a tournament game is HUGE. Everything is magnified. The intensity level rises up, focus and energy levels are way up. Every pitch and action is more important. It is just different. I was lucky enough as a player (basketball) to play international tournament finals and in a NCAA tournament - you just had nothing left to give after coming off the court.

You come off a 7 inning close game in playoffs you are totally spent - more than a regular season game or some weekend travel tournament with multiple games. To come back in a few hours and do it again (and often again... and again)... that is brutal especially if you are learning on a pitcher or even two.

And softball rosters still have very limited pitching arms available. Went to a local college D1 baseball game - one team had 17 pitchers on their roster. The other had 22. That is the full roster of all players for a lot of college softball teams.

Good points, although they beg some questions. I might be a little off on my numbers, but I believe the WCWS can be 14 to 17 games, depending on how it plays out, and from 2 to 4 of those games might have a team playing its second game of the day. Seems like two of those potential 2x/day scenarios could be eliminated if they played 4 games (instead of 2) on the second day of the event. Why do they play on the winners bracket semifinals on Day 2 and not the first two losers bracket games? I guess they want all teams staying at least 3 days.

As far as limited rosters, that's somewhat by choice, though, right? Don't the top softball teams have more scholarships to give than baseball teams? And if you're leaning on a pitcher, then maybe the tighter schedule rewards teams that have two or three good pitchers?

There's a tradeoff, I grant that. If it were extended, then perhaps players would be fresher/sharper throughout, but you also risk losing some of the excitement of the event. Easier for fans to stay focused on a 6-day event than a 10-day event that covers 2 weekends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck