Natural vs Trained Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Rick, it is funny how a web site can bring this info, free of charge for anyone to learn or share their ideas. I find myself telling parents all the time about this site. But where I live, people act as if I'm trying to bring them to the dark side.

I've had the same experience out here. One dad saw the value of this site, but most are simply not interested. I know your daughter is older than mine so You could think that by their teens people get set in their ways, but I have tried to share this site with coaches and parents of 8-11 year old pitchers who have just started pitching and they are still mostly not interested. It's a shame because our league could really use some better pitching. I secretly hope that during this season it clicks for them when my DDs show their stuff. (not a brag, just an indication of how low level our Rec league is)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
....most are simply not interested.

It's been my experience that most people are not truly curious, thus most are not interested in actually learning. Learning often means you've been wrong, and accepting you're wrong requires a mix of curiosity and humility.

Jan 25, 2011
It's been my experience that most people are not truly curious, thus most are not interested in actually learning. Learning often means you've been wrong, and accepting you're wrong requires a mix of curiosity and humility.
When I first came to the site, I got into a discussion on hitting and taught I was so right. I'm so glad that I was proven wrong. My dd has gained so much from me having my head removed from my backside:rolleyes:

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Rick, it is funny how a web site can bring this info, free of charge for anyone to learn or share their ideas. I find myself telling parents all the time about this site. But where I live, people act as if I'm trying to bring them to the dark side. They have their local guru on pitching and will not stray from them. I live not to far from Hillhouse and my dd sees him during the summer months. DD went to a local college to a clinic and the PC working with the girls was a HEllo elbow coach. He told me and my dd that Bill teaches how men pitch, not how girls pitch. So I have to ask are you teaching girls how to pitch like men?;)

I'll answer your question. Rick and Bill H teach girls how to pitch with good form, not like men. People forget that men played the game first and the pitching evolved over time and there were plenty of men who figured out how to maximize their ability. Somewhere along the line, men who never played got involved with girls and decided that they needed to pitch differently. I remember seeing women pitch in the 1970's and they pitched like the men at the time, no HE or anything unusual. They were fun to watch and were very good. Throwing a ball is throwing a ball. Man or woman doesn't matter.

Jan 25, 2011
I'll answer your question. Rick and Bill H teach girls how to pitch with good form, not like men. People forget that men played the game first and the pitching evolved over time and there were plenty of men who figured out how to maximize their ability. Somewhere along the line, men who never played got involved with girls and decided that they needed to pitch differently. I remember seeing women pitch in the 1970's and they pitched like the men at the time, no HE or anything unusual. They were fun to watch and were very good. Throwing a ball is throwing a ball. Man or woman doesn't matter.
I know, I found it funny that this PC at the college said that. I told Bill and he just laughed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55