Natural Fishtail?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Instead of calling this a natural fishtail it should be called a natural fastball.....And it is the basis for a properly timed release using internal rotation......Pitchers must work hard, as we all know, to be trained to throw peel drop 6-12.......That's why everyone has to draw their "lines on the ball" to see if it's rotating correctly......IF it was a natural move.......The lines wouldn't necessary.......

A properly timed natural release of an I/R pitcher will show an inward/downward rotation on the ball.......The timing of release that causes this spin is also an assurance that the ball is being released at the maximum velocity rate (mid-point) of the internal rotation phase of release......

So listen to Hal and DO NOT TRAIN AWAY from move.......But use it as another pitch in the arsenal......

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Instead of calling this a natural fishtail it should be called a natural fastball.....And it is the basis for a properly timed release using internal rotation......Pitchers must work hard, as we all know, to be trained to throw peel drop 6-12.......That's why everyone has to draw their "lines on the ball" to see if it's rotating correctly......IF it was a natural move.......The lines wouldn't necessary.......

A properly timed natural release of an I/R pitcher will show an inward/downward rotation on the ball.......The timing of release that causes this spin is also an assurance that the ball is being released at the maximum velocity rate (mid-point) of the internal rotation phase of release......

So listen to Hal and DO NOT TRAIN AWAY from move.......But use it as another pitch in the arsenal......

BM - using this type of release on the fastball, how should the arm finish? For example, should you let it go naturally where it wants to go or should you guide the arm up and over to the left shoulder (rhp), or maybe palm facing down?

Oct 19, 2009
man I gotta get you guys some video. We've got 3 out of town friendlies tomorrow for my older daughter's team but I can get something posted on Sunday

Jul 14, 2008
BM - using this type of release on the fastball, how should the arm finish? For example, should you let it go naturally where it wants to go or should you guide the arm up and over to the left shoulder (rhp), or maybe palm facing down?

Definately NOT over the left shoulder if it's a cut fastball like we're speaking of........The hand/wrist arm should be "throwing it" straight down the target line, with the finish following the location THROUGH RELEASE to palm down extension and relaxed........

The biggest problem I see is when pitchers are TRYING to learn the movement, and focus on THE GOAL of "palm down"........

When this happens, the hand is guided to this position and frequently forced to this position resulting in a huge loss of velocity.....And inconsistant location/spin......Rather then letting upstream mechanics dictate this finish........

You have to get it right upstream for this finish to be naturally loose and whippy, and not result in a push or muscled "turn over" of the hand and wrist...........

fyzhg7.gif

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
That young lady has the muscles of a snake striking at foot plant. It's like a big ball of directed force. And slowed down it seems effortless on her part.

I keep getting mesmerized by her hip shift to her stride leg. It's like another fulcrum for her arm. I've seen this clip for a few months on here and this morning is the first time I've really seen this clip. Dispels what I've been told about closing the hips.

Thanks for posting this BM

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
That young lady has the muscles of a snake striking at foot plant. It's like a big ball of directed force. And slowed down it seems effortless on her part.

I keep getting mesmerized by her hip shift to her stride leg. It's like another fulcrum for her arm. I've seen this clip for a few months on here and this morning is the first time I've really seen this clip. Dispels what I've been told about closing the hips.

Thanks for posting this BM

Don't dispell what you have been told about closing. Each pitcher has a different style and a some can throw with authority just using their upper body and arm strength. Failure to use a girl/woman's lower body strength handicaps them in my opinion. It is an enormous reservoir of strength for females. Some pitchers can get away just using upper body strength. This does not mean they wouldn't be better with sound mechanics.

Feb 24, 2010
My DD was doing the same thing when she started learning to pitch. I thought the ball was lopsided - not too far of a stretch considering we were practicing in a gym 3x per week all winter. Eventually, her speed increased and her mechanics got straightened out so the movement of the pitches went away. Too bad - I thought I had a budding superstar on my hands!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes