Natural Fishtail?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
My 8 YO daughter has been taking pitching lessons this past year. She throws 34-37 mph and this past month I am noticing that her fastball has a natural fishtail. Sometimes it really makes a sharp turn, usually breaking in toward a right handed batter (she's a righty) but sometimes it goes the other way. I have an older daughter and have coached 10U and High School but haven't seen anything quite like this from other pitchers.

I am not a pitching coach per se. She doesn't appear to be twisting her arm in her motion and her pitching coach thinks it's really cool. Does anyone have insight as to what she's doing to cause this? Not saying it's a bad thing, but I have 10 YO pitchers who throw in the 40's but their pitches don't move like this.

Jan 27, 2010
My 8 YO daughter has been taking pitching lessons this past year. She throws 34-37 mph and this past month I am noticing that her fastball has a natural fishtail. Sometimes it really makes a sharp turn, usually breaking in toward a right handed batter (she's a righty) but sometimes it goes the other way. I have an older daughter and have coached 10U and High School but haven't seen anything quite like this from other pitchers.

I am not a pitching coach per se. She doesn't appear to be twisting her arm in her motion and her pitching coach thinks it's really cool. Does anyone have insight as to what she's doing to cause this? Not saying it's a bad thing, but I have 10 YO pitchers who throw in the 40's but their pitches don't move like this.

It could be one of many things that could cause the ball to break in on the batter. The angle of her hand at release would be the thing I would look to first. Does she come across her body? Does she twist her wrist? It could be caused by finger pressure on the ball. Do you have video?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008

Her pitching coach thinks it's cool but cant explain why it's happening??? That's kinda scary.

I would suspect the ball is rolling off the side of her imdex fingr, the area of the palm between the index and thumb. This is very common and usually the culprit. A down and in is a great pitch so don't lose it, just develop the straight on fastball or the peel drop too.

Oct 22, 2009
I have a couple of students that do this. While trying to learn the internal rotation, they over rotate the wrist instead and the index finger pushes into the body like a screwball spin.
The problem with keeping it and developing a fastball is in 8yr olds, they are probably are not going to be able to distinguish between the two pitches and be able to throw both.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Her pitching coach thinks it's cool but cant explain why it's happening??? That's kinda scary.

I would suspect the ball is rolling off the side of her imdex fingr, the area of the palm between the index and thumb. This is very common and usually the culprit. A down and in is a great pitch so don't lose it, just develop the straight on fastball or the peel drop too.

I agree with Hal. And it is a great pitch. My only concern is that it is occuring not because she wants it to, but because she is not throwing correctly. If she gets the fastball and peel drop down consistently with correct follow through and still is able to throw the down and in when she wants, it is a bonus. Watch the rotation on the ball. The old standby sharpie pen line at 90 degrees to the seam is a good visual for those who have problem picking up the seams without getting a ball square on the noggin. I am also guessing that given her age and speed, you are seeing the movement more on days with a good wind in her face.

Jul 21, 2008

This could also be happening because of her hand size. At a young age they have trouble gripping the ball correctly and getting the thumb on the opposite side of ball from middle finger. That could explain the inconsistancy of the break.

Oct 19, 2009
I agree with Hal. And it is a great pitch. My only concern is that it is occuring not because she wants it to, but because she is not throwing correctly. If she gets the fastball and peel drop down consistently with correct follow through and still is able to throw the down and in when she wants, it is a bonus. Watch the rotation on the ball. The old standby sharpie pen line at 90 degrees to the seam is a good visual for those who have problem picking up the seams without getting a ball square on the noggin. I am also guessing that given her age and speed, you are seeing the movement more on days with a good wind in her face.

Actually her lessons are indoors.

Oct 19, 2009
This could also be happening because of her hand size. At a young age they have trouble gripping the ball correctly and getting the thumb on the opposite side of ball from middle finger. That could explain the inconsistancy of the break.

That could be. She's on the small side for her age but has surprising strength, speed, and athletisim.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009

Her instructor is the same one I've been taking my older one to for two years and she's done a real good job with both girls. I am wondering if this is a result of her size and small hand gripping the ball after reading some of the replies.

Oct 19, 2009
It could be one of many things that could cause the ball to break in on the batter. The angle of her hand at release would be the thing I would look to first. Does she come across her body? Does she twist her wrist? It could be caused by finger pressure on the ball. Do you have video?

Give me a few days on the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12