NAME not name of ORGANIZATION

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Reading other posts about Organizations or Franchise organizations,,,
Around ca. its more of a garage sale than a fancy name.

When there are SOOOO MANY
of the same org team name in the state,
That within organizations the COACHES name on the team starts to water that down further...
Oh wait,
what i mean to say is....
The coaches name on the teams labels teams in a way people start to think its a brand within a brand.
Sometimes People follow the coach not the org.
AND then these coaches start
'overseeing' several team's taking on a manager'ish title adding to the actual team coaches name somewhere in the title.
This becomes a 'collection' of teams.
...from teams....:unsure:

For people who have been around long enough...
Will see what coaches bounce around and either have & continue success...or just leave a trail.

👉Has this happened in your home state/area?

Cuz ca. its a garage sale of franchise teams...with internal name seperation.
A managercoaches name_____on each team.
(next to a name who says they are the head coach)
People see coachmanagers name on multiple teams say in 4 age brackets may sound like they got it going on but....
That creates this confusion~
Parents having to further navigate these questions
1. Who is actually the Coach?
2. Who is that person saying they are the manager?
3. Which person is making decisions on the roster?
4.Who is going to be running practices?
5. Why is this name_____
never at our games?
6. We joined this team thinking that other person was going to be involved but they are not.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is spot on. First it was the name of the team that might have attracted a family to the organization. Then it was coach, that was coaching a particular team. Now you have coaches that either splintered off of the organiztion or are overseeing multiple teams with their name attached to those teams. Kind of confusing right? When I am folllowing several brackets, I was wondering how the heck can that coach be coaching 4 different teams in a tourney? Oh wait, you mean that's just their name at the end of the org name? Someone else is coaching those teams? So confusing.

Feb 20, 2020
I've been thinking a lot about this since the NIL started last week, and it's all making me very sad. Everything single thing is monetized -- in this case, the coach being listed CLEARLY is not coaching every team, but his name is being used to convince people to join the org.

I know that it's all about money. I just don't understand why EVERY SINGLE THING has to be about money. A softball coach can put his brand on teams he doesn't coach, convince a few people to shell out some more, make him a little in the process. What's wrong with that? Nothing, I guess, but everything becomes cheaper, less special.

I'm an old guy, I guess, but it makes me sad. Money is important, but somethings maybe ought to be about something else.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I've been thinking a lot about this since the NIL started last week, and it's all making me very sad. Everything single thing is monetized -- in this case, the coach being listed CLEARLY is not coaching every team, but his name is being used to convince people to join the org.

I know that it's all about money. I just don't understand why EVERY SINGLE THING has to be about money. A softball coach can put his brand on teams he doesn't coach, convince a few people to shell out some more, make him a little in the process. What's wrong with that? Nothing, I guess, but everything becomes cheaper, less special.

I'm an old guy, I guess, but it makes me sad. Money is important, but somethings maybe ought to be about something else.

Well ... uh ... EGO? :unsure:

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
So true. My DD plays on a small org. They know their skill level and enter the appropriate tournaments. Every once in a while (more often lately) they will see a big org name on the schedule with the big name coach attached to it.
Their first thought is “Oh boy, what are they doing at this little tournament?”
Then they face them in the game and clobber them.

Im not bringing this up to brag. It’s just odd that a team from a big organization with the known coaches name would be so mediocre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Ego is at least as important as money. And feeding egos.

While there are some very successful money-making people in softball, there are way more high-profile org owners and coaches that are almost purely ego-driven. People who are in low-earning, minimum-wage jobs during the week who are 'the big dog' in the softball world either in their little area or even regionally/nationally.

Add in the endless parent egos and it is a fairly terrible mix

It is one of the main reasons I haven't gone back to coaching and am sticking with umpiring. I just don't care about being that person or have it in me to do what you have to do to be that person- and I don't have the energy to fight those that do.

And yes, that is slightly cynical.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ego is at least as important as money. And feeding egos.

While there are some very successful money-making people in softball, there are way more high-profile org owners and coaches that are almost purely ego-driven. People who are in low-earning, minimum-wage jobs during the week who are 'the big dog' in the softball world either in their little area or even regionally/nationally.

Add in the endless parent egos and it is a fairly terrible mix

It is one of the main reasons I haven't gone back to coaching and am sticking with umpiring. I just don't care about being that person or have it in me to do what you have to do to be that person- and I don't have the energy to fight those that do.

And yes, that is slightly cynical.
Teaching has been nice to be able to be involved with softball.
While opting to stay independent of any org.
Teach outdoors mostly.
While at times i would rent an indoor lane at some facilities,
was not a coach with the organizations that ran the facilities.

Students play for all different teams.
Which is also a nice thing.
Be a part of softball,
*inclusive to all,
not exclusive to any org.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Teaching has been nice to be able to be involved with softball.
While opting to stay independent of any org.

Sounds like a very similar reason to why I umpire instead of coach softball (and I don't have your credibility to be a skills instructor)

Oct 3, 2019
Reading other posts about Organizations or Franchise organizations,,,
Around ca. its more of a garage sale than a fancy name.

When there are SOOOO MANY
of the same org team name in the state,
That within organizations the COACHES name on the team starts to water that down further...
Oh wait,
what i mean to say is....
The coaches name on the teams labels teams in a way people start to think its a brand within a brand.
Sometimes People follow the coach not the org.
AND then these coaches start
'overseeing' several team's taking on a manager'ish title adding to the actual team coaches name somewhere in the title.
This becomes a 'collection' of teams.
...from teams....:unsure:

For people who have been around long enough...
Will see what coaches bounce around and either have & continue success...or just leave a trail.

👉Has this happened in your home state/area?

Cuz ca. its a garage sale of franchise teams...with internal name seperation.
A managercoaches name_____on each team.
(next to a name who says they are the head coach)
People see coachmanagers name on multiple teams say in 4 age brackets may sound like they got it going on but....
That creates this confusion~
Parents having to further navigate these questions
1. Who is actually the Coach?
2. Who is that person saying they are the manager?
3. Which person is making decisions on the roster?
4.Who is going to be running practices?
5. Why is this name_____
never at our games?
6. We joined this team thinking that other person was going to be involved but they are not.
This is so true!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA