My girls taught a travel baseball team a lesson last night :^)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
A local FP pitching instructor who is now a D1 coach told me she used to do these challenges once in a while, but she only gave them five pitches, because after that they would always have made the necessary adjustments.

Jun 9, 2009
Fastpitch softball pitchers facing baseball hitters in exhibitions is fun but it doesn't prove anything. I play in a men's fastpitch league that is made up mostly of ex- high school and college baseball players. Almost everyone struggles at hitting when they first start playing in the league. But after a while they get used to the different pitching and hit like usual.

Yep, same here. In my experience, good baseball hitters tend to become good softball hitters in a relatively short time.

Jun 7, 2013
Years ago when I still had the quick reflexes and 20/10 vision, I had the opportunity to bat against a good men's fastpitch pitcher. Previous to this I had absolutely no fastpitch experience but years of baseball. I was able to get a bat on every ball except one rise ball. Of course this wasn't Jenny Finch or Cat Osterman, but it left me with no doubt in my mind that I could make the transition to fastpitch if I had so desired.

Jul 10, 2013
It is two different sports. I have never heard of a college or pro softball player hitting college or pro baseball pitching. The fact is because of the release point. Baseball players are hard wired to see the ball come from the top and the pitcher is on a 10' mound so the ball is coming at a down ward angle. Softball pitchers come from the bottom and pitch from a flat surface and for the most part the ball is coming up. This may be new to some but a baseball hitter is trained to swing down at the ball. If a softball player tried to hit a major league curveball they would look just as silly.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This may be new to some but a baseball hitter is trained to swing down at the ball
CCabrera.gif

CPujols.gif

Jul 26, 2010
I've always thought MLB was missing a good opportunity for a good charity promotion. Perhaps after the playoffs a MLB team play the women's USA team and a portion of the proceeds go to breast cancer. Should be good PR for both sides and their sports.

Would the field dimensions of the BB stadium be too much of a disadvantage to the women?

Too much ego in MLB. The demographics that make up baseball players today do not lend themselves well, culturally, to gender embarrassment.

-W

Jul 26, 2010

Yeah, the whole "swing down at the ball" was just pre-video analysis nonsense. I believe Mattingly was famous for saying this, but was also man enough to eat crow after watching himself on video utilizing a proper swing that is on the same plane as the pitch.

-W

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Too much ego in MLB. The demographics that make up baseball players today do not lend themselves well, culturally, to gender embarrassment.

-W

Last time I checked, MLB players love doing charity work to boost their name.

So, where is the list of FP players lining up to face MLB pitchers for this game and all of MLB declining because of fear?

I also dont know how many pitchers would be lining up to face a MLB swing speed with composite bats in a "real" game 43 foot away

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2009
The minimum salary for a MLB player is $500k. The salary cap for a NPF TEAM is $150k. If there are women playing NPF who can competently hit major league pitching they really should look at changing their gig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1