My girls taught a travel baseball team a lesson last night :^)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My previous comments about the girls holding their own more than the boys after 2 weeks of practice was geared mainly toward the boys not being able to learn the "fastpitch" in such short time. I'd figure several of the girls could learn quicker to pitch a baseball, since it's close to their normal overhand throws. And yes, this would be the younger ages.

I'm surprised that GD hasn't responded yet re "creating a pitcher in 2 weeks". IMO, 2 weeks, whether it be girl or boy, will get you someone who stands on the mound and throws hard in the direction of the plate/batter/catcher/umpire/backstop, but not a pitcher who can throw strikes and get batters out.

Apr 16, 2013
I don't doubt that pitching in softball is extremely hard (my DD has tried it). Yes, you can take any kid off the baseball field and put him/her on the mound, but throwing strikes is a whole 'nother story. It's also a whole 'nother world adding picking off runners and keeping your composure while changing your pitching motion to keep runners on. (My DD has 3 different pitching motions depending on which bases runners are on.) On my DD's team, I'd say there are 3 very good pitchers, DD included. The rest can sometimes do well, and other times are off by a country mile. Remember, the SHORTEST distance you pitch in BB is 46'. That's further than the furthest the highest level of SB pitches. Painting corners from that distance isn't easy. Saying anyone can take a kid and in a day or even a few weeks turn out a top notch, travel level pitcher is dreaming.

I have no doubt that a 12u softball team can take on a 12u baseball team and do well if you've got a dang good pitcher. The timing is totally different. If the 12u BB team was pitching from 46 feet than they're not a travel team, at best they're a select team. As has already been said, 65mph is quite normal in 12u travel, far far less normal in rec. I'm not doubting the OPs story either way, but I wouldn't "brag" about it. It should be a fun time. Of course we know the kids are going to razz each other about it and by all means, let them. If there's anything I can't stand, after being around them so much, are the big mouthed boys!

Jul 2, 2013
Part of a factor, at 12u, that folks do not know about. Fielding a grounder, throwing an accurate throw, and catching a larger softball is very much harder than with a smaller baseball.

A big adjustment to make for some. Baseball is a speed game with a smaller (easier) ball. Softball is tougher.

Maybe we would have done it different and not played baseball. But as every parent knows ... my DD was good enough (not a small task). It was what she "wanted".

In the end, playing baseball against the boys and making them cry was what drove DD. It was what she lived for, took extra practice for both before practice, after practice, and at home.

Once the "boys" were removed with softball, that extra drive stopped. Sure she dominated at times. Still is a very good softball player. But what I saw when she was 12 ... was gone, and there was no getting it back no matter how hard I tried,

Played baseball for 8 years, now softball for 5. DD has already checked out, but has enough ability, and drive to be an important cog in a potentially HS Championship year (already got 1 as a Soph, and regular).

In the end, baseball was in her heart. Softball just a past time if that means anything.

Just as story for DFP.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Which game is harder? Let's see, which field had to be made smaller so that kids could play the game? For that matter, I've never once heard of a 12-year-old, or an 8th grader, playing varsity baseball.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
If there are women playing NPF who can competently hit major league pitching they really should look at changing their gig.

It starts with the ability to hit proficiently with a -2 bat made out of wood, with maybe a 5" sweet spot, vs. a -10 metal composite with a "Massive Sweet Spot."

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It starts with the ability to hit proficiently with a -2 bat made out of wood, with maybe a 5" sweet spot, vs. a -10 metal composite with a "Massive Sweet Spot."

I made that point pages back and certain people seem to not think about that very important part of the game as the players get older.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
For that matter, I've never once heard of a 12-year-old, or an 8th grader, playing varsity baseball.

Are you talking about the fact that female softball players can make varsity at younger ages than male baseball players?

That doesn't compare the two sports. That compares the two genders. Females mature physically more quickly than boys. A 12-year-old girl is closer physically to a 16-year-old girl than boys are at those ages. There is an 11-year-old golfer playing in the U.S. Women's Open this week. An 11-year-old boy will never play on the PGA Tour. Same sport, different outcomes based on gender.

That said, I do think that the smaller field makes it easier since there's less ground to cover in the outfield. The larger the field, the greater athletic requirement.

But other than that, I don't know that you can say one sport is harder than the other. It's harder to hit a baseball, but it's harder to pitch a softball. And a softball pitcher is facing batters with more powerful, efficient bats. I don't think there is anything more difficult in youth sports than being a fastpitch pitcher.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Females mature physically more quickly than boys. A 12-year-old girl is closer physically to a 16-year-old girl than boys are at those ages.

I regularly encounter 12-year-old baseball players who are 6' tall or close to it. In fact, because of the way age/eligibility rules are written, it is not uncommon where I live to have a 12-year-old playing Cal Ripken ball on the little diamond, and at the same time playing 7th grade ball on the regulation diamond with a -3 big barrel bat.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I regularly encounter 12-year-old baseball players who are 6' tall or close to it. In fact, because of the way age/eligibility rules are written, it is not uncommon where I live to have a 12-year-old playing Cal Ripken ball on the little diamond, and at the same time playing 7th grade ball on the regulation diamond with a -3 big barrel bat.

OK. But I'm not clear on what we're debating.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
OK. But I'm not clear on what we're debating.

You implied there were developmental reasons why a 12- or 13-year-old kid wouldn't be playing varsity baseball. I'm saying that many of them not only have the size, but they are already playing on the same field. I will say that the average 12- or 13-year-old probably wouldn't deal well with the 80mph-plus pitching that they would see at the varsity level.

Really, I was just trying to stir things up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24