My First Ejection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
So as I have posted I have been helping with a 12u rec team after being out of coaching for a number of years. It has been a great experience but last night for the first time ever I was ejected from a game...ever. And being a diehard DFPer I have to share my shame. :)

My runner is on second and a clean hit to right field. My runner rounds third and is headed home. The catcher is standing between 3rd and home clearly blocking the plate without the ball. My runner goes around her and touches home. The ball never makes it to the catcher. The plate umpire calls her out for leaving the baseline. Below is a reconstruction of the conversation as I remember it.

Me: What did you see?
PU: Coach your runner left the base path and she is out.
Me: She was going around the catcher who was blocking the base path without the ball
PU: Yes I was going to call obstruction until your runner left the base path
Me: What was my runner supposed to do?
PU: Coach its not my job to coach your team but she could have run past the catcher without going so wide
Me: (I admit here and not proud but the comment about it not being his job to coach set me a little sideways) So I said: "So you are saying I can place fielders strategically in the base paths and I could potentially get outs by runners running too wide?"
PU: That's enough Coach. I explained my call now go back to the dugout. And he gives me a shooshing motion with his hand.
Me: At this point I could and should have gone back to the dugout like a real grownup. But I chose to say: "Are there any other rules you have modified that I should be aware of?" I never raised my voice but obviously that last comment was dripping with sarcasm.

Tossed me. My DD was watching the game and is having a great time needling me like only a softball DD can.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would need to buy a nice set of binoculars, if that is all it took I would be watching a few games from the parking lot.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
LOL.

Back in the day, I know who the coach would have put in, to run over that catcher. Oh, well. Nice story. By the way, there is no base path that the runner needs to stay in.

Jun 7, 2013
With coaches being kicked out of games for things such as this, I'm amazed that I haven't been booted about 100 times by now!

Oct 3, 2009
You all are making the exact points my DD did last night (between gales of laughter she could barely control). She kept saying Dad all those times you pushed umpires when you coached me and you never got tossed. She kept saying softball is a game of karma Dad. She is truly loving this too much. I showed her the dialogue above and the only thing she added is after he gave me that shooshing motion I turned to the BU and said "Did he just shoosh me? He cannot blow calls and then just shoosh me." She said what probably got me is the parents were laughing at my comments.

Maksoft and to your point, when we got to the car my DD said Dad I am really proud of you. When he tossed you I could tell by the look on your face that you considered getting your money's worth but you just calmly walked out.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I've only got tossed once and it wan't pretty(umpire kept berating my daughter in 10U), but have many opportunities much worse than yours. I applaud your restraint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32