My favorite hitting drill is.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The book does not recommend practicing incorrect movements in slow motion.

This is something I'm trying to get my 9yo to stop doing. We will be working through a part of her swing trying to build a new pattern, and she will invariably do a slow and exaggerated version of the pattern we're trying to get away from. I'm trying to get her to understand that doing this confuses the muscles, and makes it harder for them to learn the new movement.

Jun 11, 2013
If I can pick one drill it's front toss with some velocity.

Learning to hit a change-up is valuable, but if you can't catch up with a fastball you won't ever see a change-up.

The tennis ball drill is a good one once you show you can catch up to fastballs.

Oct 19, 2009
This is something I'm trying to get my 9yo to stop doing. We will be working through a part of her swing trying to build a new pattern, and she will invariably do a slow and exaggerated version of the pattern we're trying to get away from. I'm trying to get her to understand that doing this confuses the muscles, and makes it harder for them to learn the new movement.

IMO every swing a player takes should be as mechanical correct as possible, some drills like the quick hit drill, where a coach soft tosses balls one after the other not giving the hitter time to get set promotes bad mechanics/swings, just an example.

Kids get bored and get to a point where they are just going through the motion and are not utilizing deep practice (as described in the Talent Code) IMO that is the time to take a break or work on something else.

S21 good video of the drill, you will want to vary the pitch location, speed and how high you bounce the ball. :cool:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
A comment on drills…what is the purpose of doing a drill or using mechanics that you would never use in a game? For instance the quick hands drill where the person soft tossing throws balls out quickly for the hitter to hit.

Before long the hitter gets behind and misses or their mechanics and they get erratic and before long all the mechanics we have worked so hard on are soon lost and our efforts have been wasted.

You will hear people say this drill builds bat speed, stamina and quick hands…BULL CRAP! We just finished drills that promoted every aspect of hitting we can think of and we used good technique and mechanics. Some drills make no sense and this is one of them.

FFS where did anyone say on here say that the book stated to practice in slow motion incorrect methods anyone that has read the book would know your statement made no sense!

Softball and baseball is a ballistic sport and not an endurance sport so train in your mind on the execution of the mechanics and not on the results as you have no control of the results only on the execution!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The quick hit drill is one that we would avoid.

Agreed - same thing for catcher blocking drills. Rapid fire is not a part of the game, so why would you include it in a drill? Focus and execution on one pitch at a time is where it's at.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Doesn't do a lot of good to practice 'incorrect' movements in slow motion.

I know I prefer to practice my "incorrect" movements at full speed; we get thru them much more quickly that way;)

Not sure I understand the problem some have with "matrixing" a swing, though. I wouldn't say we use it often; but I do think slowing the process down to focus on a particular point of emphasis has real value. Maybe I'm performing it incorrectly:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red