My favorite hitting drill is.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Any chance you could show us a video of this drill and how it all comes together for you?
Thanks

SL

You've seen this drill before,silly
BustosOutFrom1.gif

ATACK OPPO
:p

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
DD went to a hitting clinic a few years ago and 2 former Vol’s players had a hitting station where they were bouncing tennis balls into the hitters strike zone; they advised that the drill helped hitters to adjust to change ups.

I believe my favorite drill is the matrix-drill it works on the complete swing from sequence to extension to finish.

My next favorite is tee work hitting balls in all 9 hitting zones and working outside the zones.

I thought one of the most beneficial parts of the drill was controlling where I bounced it and at what speed, which abled me to simulate the change. I would recommend a screen, I didn't have one and almost took one in the teeth!

Can someone fill me in on the matrix drill?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Drills breaking down a swing? None. If hitting oppo with front toss is a drill, then that is my fav.

I know I'm going to have my rear handed to me with this, but I think tee drills are over-used. As I have mentioned, I greatly prefer front toss. It does, however, require a great deal more time. Why? Because I have found that for front toss to be effective, it can only be done in 2-5 girl sessions. Through the winter I set up a couple nights a week and had 2-5 players come for an our of front toss. They would get 5-6 pitches they rotate. They really like it and I can give personalized instruction while doing the front toss. I think it's more focused, more frequent feedback. And they really want that.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
We really like several of these, especially the walk-thru and 45º drills. Never tried the 45º using front-toss; it sounds like a very natural progression, we'll have to give it a try.

A simple drill we've had a lot of luck with is the high-tee. We see so many hand-droppers; this drill really helps the girls understand the responsibility of their hands during their swing. It also makes it very difficult for them to drag their barrel thru the zone.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
I know I'm going to have my rear handed to me with this, but I think tee drills are over-used. As I have mentioned, I greatly prefer front toss.

That's interesting. Around here, it seems like just the opposite. I see so many girls at our facility skip the tee entirely, and go directly to the machine for their workout. Even fewer incorporate front-toss. Big mistake, IMO.

I'm a big believer in front-toss, but I think tee work definitely has a place in most workouts. Especially for the younger kids.

Oct 19, 2009
I thought one of the most beneficial parts of the drill was controlling where I bounced it and at what speed, which abled me to simulate the change. I would recommend a screen, I didn't have one and almost took one in the teeth!

Can someone fill me in on the matrix drill?

If you’ve ever seen the Kung fu movies where the masters have their students practice in slow motion, the matrix drill is the same concept you practice the swing in slow motion feeling and executing each part of the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you’ve ever seen the Kung fu movies where the masters have their students practice in slow motion, the matrix drill is the same concept you practice the swing in slow motion feeling and executing each part of the swing.

Notice how their slow motion movements are 'correct' and deliberate.

Doesn't do a lot of good to practice 'incorrect' movements in slow motion.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know I'm going to have my rear handed to me with this, but I think tee drills are over-used. As I have mentioned, I greatly prefer front toss. It does, however, require a great deal more time. Why? Because I have found that for front toss to be effective, it can only be done in 2-5 girl sessions. Through the winter I set up a couple nights a week and had 2-5 players come for an our of front toss. They would get 5-6 pitches they rotate. They really like it and I can give personalized instruction while doing the front toss. I think it's more focused, more frequent feedback. And they really want that.

I agree with this. Front toss is definitely my preference. However, I do use tee drills quite often for 3 main reasons.

1) My DD can hit in the garage by herself by using a tee. She needs me to do front toss.
2) If there is something specific I want to work on, I may choose to do some one hand drills, or whatever, and then move on to front toss.
3) At team practice we will often have a couple of tees set up on the outside of the cage. While one of the coaches is throwing front toss, the other players can be working at tees or with another coach on bunts.

We will incorporate a machine once in a while, but not often.

In regards to the OP, my DDs favorite drills are Happy Gilmore and 45 degree SnF. Lately she seems to like the "kick drill" too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red