My DD is average.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have several 11 YO pitching students. They are averaging 45 mph and some can't hit their spots very good. If they can't hit their spots, I feel that they need to stay in rec ball.

I tell them that softball is like piano, you either practice or you don't play. Pitching takes a good 45 minutes a day to learn. 5 days a week is the least that I tell someone to practice.

Infielders need to be able to protect themselves. If they aren't putting much effort into the game, I can't help them with the little time that I have with them at practice. I am always scared for the girls safety.

What would happen if you never mentioned softball to her again?

I do applaud you for getting her involved in something, though.

Oct 22, 2009
I feel for you. It is hard trying to find out what is best for your child.
When my DD was pitching, I would ask her every season, do you still want to pitch? She was accident prone and after every injury that would require re-hab to get back into pitching, I would ask, "Do you still want to pitch?" I didn't want her to think she had to do it, and I certainly didn't want her childhood to be filled with memories of only pitching practice, because we did practice 6 days a week religiously.
When she would say "No, I've put too much time in it now." I would answer "That's okay, you've learned work ethics and that will help you with whatever you choose to do next."
I don't think it's wrong to tell her you would like to see her play in high school, I think if my parents ever said they would be interested in seeing me do anything it would have encouraged me.
When my son grew out of little league and was ready for travel ball I told him he would have to put forth the same amount of work ethics to continue in this higher level of play that his sister was doing. He chose not to play travel ball. He loved the recreational aspect of baseball, he lacked the desire to be the best player he could be, which was sad because he was a very talented athlete, and yes I would have loved to see him play in high school .

I instruct pitching now and I would say I have several 11yr olds that do throw 45-47, and a couple of 12yr olds that throw 50+ Those are my better students not my average.

If she does not like you to practice with her, you could always just be a catcher, just sit on the bucket with your MP3 player and rock out to your favorite tunes while she gets her practice in. : )

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Yes 12U are 50 mph. Last year in 12U we had 2 girls throwing consistently at 50.

A good travel ball pitcher throws to live hitters the same as she does in
pitching practice. I have seen girls who are great practice pitchers get knocked around
in travel ball as they lose 3-5 mph (or more) velocity in game situations.

My dd will be 13 this summer and is currently at 53 mph. (she is approaching 2 years with lessons)
she throws 3-4x weekly, does drills 3-5x. Hates every minute of drills but they only take a few minutes.
She can pitch rec and have fun. Yes, she should learn a couple other positions so she can contribute.

A BIG YES, to find a team that is a good fit. She should try-out as a position player who also pitches.
If she throws in the low 40's she will not make a travel team 12U as a pitcher. If she does, that team will
get shellacked

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
As someone who is currently playing high school softball not in Florida or on the West Coast, I wouldn't hold my breath about her playing in high school. It all depends on how good she is, your area, and how many girls they have come out that year. Consistently, in a county that has three stop lights (to help you get an idea of the size of this place) we have had sixty girls come out for JV and Varsity. We send thirty of them home this year. You've got to have something special to hang around here, even in the middle of nowhere.

If she wants to pitch, then keep her going at it. It's all in what she wants to do. That being said, I've always found my own camps/clinics and stuff. I haven't had my parents ask me if I want to go, I've asked them and BEGGED to go. If she wants this bad enough, she'd be looking for her own stuff.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
HS softball isnt setting goals particularly high. In some areas it may be good, in some its poor. Even in good areas some schools may be great, a bunch will still be terrible.

As others say, 40 is sort of slow for 12yr old, or maybe even 10yr old. Good 12yo pitchers will be 50+ in A ball, even low-to-average pitchers will be~45. Girls can improve dramatically sometimes between 12 and 13 though with good instruction, gain 5+ mph in a few months.

A good coach will take a girl at that age based on her raw athletic ability, and will teach fielding basics,etc and a proper swing in a few weeks or months of practice. Speed, a good arm, strong swing, balance and coordination will easily trump a couple yrs of more practiced skills by girls with lesser athleticism.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
+1
Even if she's just telling you what she thinks you want to hear, it's a chance to spend time with your daughter. I wouldn't give up on pitching, yet. To her, maybe it's a way of getting your undivided attention. If she doesn't become the next Finch or Osterman, so what. It's been some time since my kids played, but we'll always have something we can connect on.

May 5, 2008
I think if SHE likes pitching and wants to work on it then she should continue pitching. However, as others have mentioned, it takes a LOT of time to "excel" at it even when you have the natural ability. Not to mention, the bats and balls now days brings up a safety issue. My dd also likes to pitch, she isn't the biggest nor the strongest. I do not anticipate her being able to pitch much longer, but she loves it, so I allow her to do it IF she works on it. I told her that I will NOT allow her to pitch if she doesn't work on it because I will not see her stand on a field and lay balls over the fat of the plate and get shot ripped back at her because she hasn't practiced enough to keep batters from hitting the ball straight back at her head.

As far as softball in general, even if your DD isn't "the best" again, if SHE loves it, then she should play. If she doesn't, then help her find something else she does totally love. It's one of our challenges as parents...to help our children find something they really do enjoy and encourage them and support them while they get to do it. Who knows, one day, it may become their livelihood (not so likely with softball) - and how awesome is it to have helped your child find that.

A #2 pitcher has a key roll. Plus it will give her a goal to ge a #1.
After 18+ months with a pitching coach.....and she still has basic mechanical "issues".... i'd seek out a new coach!!
You might want to allow her to take the lead on her own direction. We as parents can push them a certain way but in the end they will take thier own path....

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
How mechanically sound is her overhand throwing? One of the contributers on this site who teaches pitching opined that velocity generated by the overhand throw who translate to pitching velocity, if mechanics were proper.

If DD is a shortstop or outfielder with a cannon for an arm, perhpa she will grow into being a tremendous pitcher. If her throwing arm is average, perhaps not.

My $0.02.

Jan 15, 2009
Sam,

I coached a 13 YO that was a good athlete (not great but good) that started softball at 11 started pitching at 12 and in one year was throwing 52 MPH at 13 in her third year playing second year pitching. This girl had good instruction and average work ethic. As far as your concern that she's starting too late, no way. Our High School is fairly large and supports 5 teams Varsity, JV, B-Squad, 9A & 9B. Of the two sophomores that will likely roster Varsity this year one started at 9 the other at 11.

If she's reluctant to do one on one practice with you sucess as a pitcher will never come. Sounds like she gets her lesson and is willing to pitch at team practice. That's not nearly enough to improve to the point where she could pitch reliably for a travel team or Varsity eventually. If you had your kid in piano lessons would you find it acceptable that she only sat at the piano during her lessons and at recitals, or would you explain to them that taking lessons has an obligation to practice at least x amount outside of the lesson? Yes they may resist or dread practice at times, but make it clear that they their choices are limited to either to not do lessons, and not practice or do lessons and practice.

My advice to you is to see what happens when she doesn't make the team. My guess is that the coach isn't looking to fill last roster spot with a kid that is only marginally good enough to make the team. If that motivates her to start working more to ensure a better outcome next year, then she may end up better off for not marginally making the team and feeling that she is already good enough and doesn't need to work harder. If it doesn't motivate her, then she is pretty clearly telling you she's happy playing Rec ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet