My daughters swing..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
BustosOverlap.gif

Look closer Doug, At the hands, forearms rear elbow. Crystal is working the barrel with Her hands earlier than you think...

No, I actually saw that initial working of the barrel in the initial turning of the barrel--it is taking place as that front leg and hip do their thing.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Sorry, original poster, for side-tracking this discussion, but this hip/front-leg action thing has really caught my attention.

Continuing with the Hugo leg-hip action approach.... The following is a clip of the lazy-legged player I have incorporated the Hugo lower-half approach as a way for her to utilize her lower half better. Granted, there are still a lot of issues in her swing, but her bat-to-ball timing is always good (i.e., she doesn't have a lazy upper half). Further, she doesn't have a very good connection between her lower half and her upper half. Thoughts on the lower half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1rmOq5-X_U&feature=youtu.be

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for replies back....I think I have a understanding of what is being said about her swing. 1. Get the front leg out of the way to allow the rear hip come through and 2. The top half and lower half are separate components. I have included another video for you to see more. Thanks!

IMG 2038 - YouTube

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Thanks for replies back....I think I have a understanding of what is being said about her swing. 1. Get the front leg out of the way to allow the rear hip come through and 2. The top half and lower half are separate components. I have included another video for you to see more. Thanks!

IMG 2038 - YouTube

Personally, while I like what she does in that last clip, I'd like to see a clip (from the same angle) with front toss from about 25 feet out. Or, it would be great to see a clip of her (from roughly the same angle) hitting in a game.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Those tosses seem to be on a steep downward trajectory. Is someone over-hand throwing them, or just tossing them with a high arc. I simply fastpitch to them from behind a screen, making the pitch quite a bit flatter.

I'll let the true hitting experts chime in on mechanical issues, but I like her swing. I just think she needs more umph/pop

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I found a short clip with some soft toss, hope this helps as well.

IMG 2046 - YouTube

This here is "Level Then Swing".

2zexeo5.gif

Your daughter is performing the leveling process (aligning the barrel with the ball) by first flattening the bat, and then swinging.

Instead, learn to 'work the barrel' to the ball while applying pressure with the hands ... turn the barrel. In other words, the leveling process should occur as you swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of the swing components that is missing from hitters with a DBSF* pattern is a proper top hand swivel.

What is "top hand swivel"??...

Hold your right forearm vertically in front of you, with your hand in a fist, and your thumb pointing over your rear shoulder. With your arm remaining vertical, rotate your wrist/forearm so your thumb points to your right. That is "top hand swivel".

Top hand swivel gets the barrel turning to the ball while the hands stay in front of - and moving with - the rear shoulder. Top hand swivel can provide sudden, explosive, "NOW!" barrel movement. Rotation of the hands is fast. Hand travel is slow.

See it in action here...
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Use the hands to turn the barrel to contact.

These drills have helped my DDs understand the feeling of using top hand swivel to launch the barrel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_MT7wc_tfY&list=PLLo_t691U8DVQCriImV9Kt44VdEI6iFir&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7I6WMXnUPM

* Drop the Barrel and Swing Flat (aka "Level Then Swing")

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan