Movement on a fastball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO straight fastball is home run in older ages.

Good or bad look at MLB that throw 100. They throw straight no movement, minor is good career for them.

Same when you move up in softball.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Ok, the spin rate means the rps, but what does the 15+ mean?
15 or more RPS is generally needed for the ball to have any break at normal youth pitching speeds (45-55mph).
Spin axis is also very important.

Does "strait-away bullet spin" mean the ball is rotating on a axis that is pointing the the catcher?
Yes. This spin axis generally produces very little "break". (although the ball will drop much less than a forward-spinning drop ball. Many high-level pitchers throw a bullet-spin ball that they call a "Rise")

You included the pobguy post, I have to doubt that my DD is throwing anything like 60 rps. She is throwing faster than any other pitcher on her 14u team (she just turned 13), but it is a B team. I also doubt she is throwing anything like the speed of the top 13year olds around.
To give you an idea, most GOOD and accomplished youth pitchers get anywhere from 12-18rps on Drop balls, and a bit higher rps on Curves and/or Rises.

responses inline above

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD throws two different fastballs. Her 2-seam fastball has a screwball tail at the end, while her 4-seam is more of a bullet spin. We throw the 2-seam ahead in the count, and 4-seam behind in the count...especially with 3 balls on the batter!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00