Move up 10u or stay 8u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2021
Hi All,

I am interested in opinions and advice with my youngest DD. I know each situation is different and a little hard to judge at this age. Here’s the scoop without going into too much details:

Youngest DD is 8, 2013 yob, and just finished her second year of 8u coach pitch. She’s average build, athletic, multi-sport and playing comp soccer for the first time this fall.

Her HC is starting a comp 8u team with the org his oldest daughter plays with and my oldest does as well. My wife and I asked and she instantly said no to another year of coach pitch. She’s been taking pitching lessons since late April/early May and is looking forward to pitching.

We ended up not playing 8u and joined a 10u team this fall. It will be a comp league and likely equivalent to C level. Maybe try a tournament or two.

Would you stay at 8u or move up to 10u? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Nov 18, 2013
Will the 8U team be kid pitch? If so that’s were she should go. If it’s coach pitch she’d be on her third year with a bunch of kids who are just starting out.

Was the 10U team competitive enough for her? I’d have the same concerns about a C team of beginners if she’s on her third year.

Whatever you do get her on a kid pitch team and get her in a pitching clinic or lessons.

Jan 24, 2021
The 8u would be coach pitch. That was one thing, it would be her third year of coach pitch. If we’re going to spend 3 years 10u makes more sense, might takes some lumps early.

We’ll find out if the 10u league is competitive enough next week when games start.

She does hour pitching lessons every other week. We pitch a couple times a week. She is still 8 and spends a lot of time outside playing like she should at this age, plus soccer practice twice a week.

Nov 18, 2013
The 8u would be coach pitch. That was one thing, it would be her third year of coach pitch. If we’re going to spend 3 years 10u makes more sense, might takes some lumps early.

We’ll find out if the 10u league is competitive enough next week when games start.

She does hour pitching lessons every other week. We pitch a couple times a week. She is still 8 and spends a lot of time outside playing like she should at this age, plus soccer practice twice a week.

The amount of training you’re doing is great. If it becomes a chore back off it a little. Keep it fun. She’s got lots of time to develop.

Sep 19, 2018
At 8, my dd would have been 3rd year coach pitch rec. We skipped and when to 10U, kid pitch. She ended the season with about 12 - 14 innings in the circle and held her own. I would do the same thing if I had to do it over. It was rec though. The following fall (her 9yo year) she joined a B level travel team. She did fine and got a lot better. I feel like she would have struggled a good bit if she joined that 10u travel team for her 8yo year. Just how much? Would she have been frustrated or lost interest? I don't know. But, if I could go back and do it over, I would not change anything.

May 23, 2019
My daughter played 8u at age 5,6, and 7. Honestly if not for Corona I would of put her in 10u at 7. Just turned 8 in June and had first 10u this week.

She got to get in there with a second year who was throwing really hard (maybe mid 50s?) She struck out but wasn't afraid, and asked how much extra hitting practice we could do this week.

I would say it's best to keep them in a spot where they are being challenged

May 16, 2016
So, years back, I was coaching DD in 10u Rec. She was pitching in her 2nd year at 10u, and was one of the best players in the league. On the team that year was an 8u playing up. She was an excellent player for her age, and was taking pitching lessons, and very excited to pitch in live games. She showed tremendous potential, and I expected her to be a future dominant player in the league.

About half way through season in a game, DD was pitching, and the 8u player was at 2nd. DD left one fat over plate to one of the better hitters in league, and the batter hit a line drive comebacker right back to pitcher, and struck DD in the right shoulder. Ball fell at DDs feet, and she calmly picked up ball and threw batter out at first. DD refused to come out of game, and threw "angry" for the rest of the inning...

I didn't realize it at the time, but this traumatized the 8u player at 2nd. She had become one of my more reliable players at 2nd, but the next ball hit her direction, and she did not move, and watched it roll by her into the outfield. This continued for the rest of the season. Based on what I knew her ability to be, at the end of the season, I wanted to nominate her for the 8u All Star team. Her parents informed me that she did not want to play, and they did not want to push her. They hoped she would snap out of it, and comeback and play in the next regular season that fall.

As far as I know, she never played softball again. I think if she had played 8u, she would have dominated, and would likely still be playing today.

Moral of story? Just because they are physically ready to play up, does not mean they are mentally prepared. Don't push them up too early.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's 1st year of total player pitch was 10U and it was brutal, walkfests. She moved to 12U as soon as she could.

I would expect her experience was fairly common so beware.

Since your DD wants to pitch, when they have no backup is when you start to see who the real pitchers are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi