Playing up 10u-12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The 12 inch ball from 40’ would strain some kids.
And does strain some kids!

While jumping to the bigger ball is something all players have to adjust to it's certainly something to consider preparing/practicing for. Rather than just jump into and expect it to be dialed in. Including overhand throwing.

Sep 1, 2021
I'd want to make sure she's past, what I call, the "perfect wrong speed". It's when the ball is fast enough that it doesn't have a lot of gravity drop and slow enough that the hitter has time to make a good decision. I'd guess that's right around 40mph with a 12 inch ball from 40 feet. I'd avoid going through that phase against 12u girls if at all possible.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
My DD is 11 and we are in our first year of 12u and she is also a pitcher so I have some insight. You want to go where she is most comfortable and going to have the most fun. But you also don't want her to be in over her head. Staying down, she could be at the top of her class. The main thing is the size difference. Some girls you play against will be adult size, particularly with the 2nd years. Pitching wise, if her mechanics aren't dialed in, particularly with her lower body she will struggle to get the ball to the plate. 12u is a hitters level and with bigger kids, bigger bats come more explosive hits. One of our young pitchers took a line drive off the leg from one of the big kids and we have been working on her mental game to get her back in the circle. My DD played up in a few 12u games last year and held her own. Its easier than the jump from 8u to 10u IMO. Tough call on this one, but you know your kid the best.

Dec 16, 2023
Kansas
If she is Playing 10C I would find a 10B team. The level of Play at 10 A/B is actually higher than most real12c teams. If she is dominating at 10B then moving up to 12's would probably be the better option.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478