More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
10 minute mark... makes you wonder hey? Another pro who doesn't know what they are talking about.. young one too

May 12, 2016
Yes, Brooke had some injuries that derailed her career. Stating that the mechanics limited her is a bit presumptuous. That is certainly a possibility, and I will not claim it isn't, but it could have also been due to other factors such as the injuries she endured. Mechanics are one piece of the puzzle... There are other factors that also determine how far a player goes and what type of success they experience.
Did she struggle early on? And was it because she was swinging under the ball a lot?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Did she struggle early on? And was it because she was swinging under the ball a lot?

Her dad used to post here years ago. By the time I joined the site in 2013 Brooke and her dad were already well along their journey. She is probably 22 or 23 by now (I'm guessing). My understanding is that she had an outstanding high school and travel ball career. She then struggled in college (D1). It's possible that mechanics were a part of that. But it's also possible that her injuries and other factors were also involved. Playing D1 is hard. There is no magic pill that cures everything.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
10 minute mark... makes you wonder hey? Another pro who doesn't know what they are talking about.. young one too

let me add:

‘down towards the plate’. That’s the barrel turn. That’s the ‘rotational’ or ‘torquing’ piece and the ‘depth’ piece. Planing the swing is what’s happening while the barrel gets loaded automatically or sequentially. If one is always down to the ball/plate, how could one ever ‘drop’ their hands? I think impossible right ?

If the mass has been leveraged(sequenced) in balance the swing will have power and adjustability components built in. If not you could get a chop or drag.

good stuff Julray.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

During BP Barry tells JF ‘ I get into a position so if the ball is here, I’m here, if it’s here I’m here’. Hitting in a nutshell. He even shows the depth at where he wants his delivery of the barrel.

He goes on to tell JF to ‘get the top hand through’. Now what does he mean?

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes, Brooke had some injuries that derailed her career. Stating that the mechanics limited her is a bit presumptuous. That is certainly a possibility, and I will not claim it isn't, but it could have also been due to other factors such as the injuries she endured. Mechanics are one piece of the puzzle... There are other factors that also determine how far a player goes and what type of success they experience.

Yea, injuries may have been involved but when Dad was sharing the journey he posted the struggles she was having and the adjustments they were attempting to make.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

During BP Barry tells JF ‘ I get into a position so if the ball is here, I’m here, if it’s here I’m here’. Hitting in a nutshell. He even shows the depth at where he wants his delivery of the barrel.

He goes on to tell JF to ‘get the top hand through’. Now what does he mean?

Bingo !!

Jul 29, 2013
Do you agree it's good practice to stay inside and through the ball and not swing around the ball?

We are at a point in time where most active pros see their swing broken down frame by frame. Yet they still practice much of what Thome is alluding to in his video. And I am talking about pros with tons of power who hit HR's regularly.

I see swinging around the ball as early extension of the back arm so, yes, swinging around the ball could be bad, especially if accompanied by a delay in bat speed. But so is swinging too much inside out or pulling the hands forward across the torso so the bat drags resulting in weak oppo flairs.
In my experience, I see more kids too much inside out.
The big question is why teach hitting soft liners if the goal is to hit bombs?
Why waste the time focusing on an undesirable result unless the purpose is a drill designed to fix a flaw?
Do the pros practice what Thome is doing without thinking it through? Conventional wisdom ?

May 12, 2016
I see swinging around the ball as early extension of the back arm so, yes, swinging around the ball could be bad, especially if accompanied by a delay in bat speed. But so is swinging too much inside out or pulling the hands forward across the torso so the bat drags resulting in weak oppo flairs.
In my experience, I see more kids too much inside out.
The big question is why teach hitting soft liners if the goal is to hit bombs?
Why waste the time focusing on an undesirable result unless the purpose is a drill designed to fix a flaw?
Do the pros practice what Thome is doing without thinking it through? Conventional wisdom ?
Wow! I see many more kids around the ball/rolling wrist than inside out.. way more! All the pros, all of them work on staying inside and through. Thome is practicing staying inside, staying back and staying through the ball. Trout, Freeman, Guerrero, Braun etc all "practice" staying inside the ball by trying to hit it up the middle/oppo. Who said anything about doing what Thome is doing without thinking it through?? Of course they have a plan, of course there is a reason why they do it. I outlined several reasons why, so did Thome. If you want to hit bombs, learn how to stay inside and through the ball. And I rather have a more proactive approach, why wait for a flaw to occur? Practice like these guys so it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
let me add:

‘down towards the plate’. That’s the barrel turn. That’s the ‘rotational’ or ‘torquing’ piece and the ‘depth’ piece. Planing the swing is what’s happening while the barrel gets loaded automatically or sequentially. If one is always down to the ball/plate, how could one ever ‘drop’ their hands? I think impossible right ?

If the mass has been leveraged(sequenced) in balance the swing will have power and adjustability components built in. If not you could get a chop or drag.

good stuff Julray.

W=w for the love of God and all things holy can you explain to me and everyone else how the Pujols video of knob to the ball = his game swing. Please specifically address these points.

1. At no point in his demo swing does his barrel get below his hands. In all his games swing his barrel is below his hands. Why is that?

2. If you take knob to ball on an outside pitch you will be disconnected and casting. His live swings do not reflect this.

Do you accept that he could be relating a feel that he has. And that "feel" is not what is really happening, although that feel helps him do the real.

Help me understand, because my lying eyes see him say one thing and do another.

They both can't be right:

This video at 7:30:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06