More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
He is always talking about the hands being linear, nothing linear about the swings I posted. He also said Mankin was wrong, Mankin was/is correct. And he came to his conclusion on a VCR, we now have computers to break the swing down.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
giphy.gif
I am not fond of this swing. I believe this might work for a few big strong guys but smaller girls never. They need some lateral momentum. And if Judge would swing more like J.D. he would hit the ball much further. IMO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He is always talking about the hands being linear, nothing linear about the swings I posted. He also said Mankin was wrong, Mankin was/is correct. And he came to his conclusion on a VCR, we now have computers to break the swing down.

maybe there’s something to staying straight? Does the handle get torqued? Maybe.. but I don’t think it’s intentional. It’s all apart of the feeling of staying closed and straight.

Jun 8, 2016
Does the handle get torqued? Maybe.. but I don’t think it’s intentional
I don't see a big difference between hand/forearm usage at launch between all 3 swings, agree? So either AJ isn't listening to TM with regards to this or, as I have alluded to previously, it is difficult to discern whether somebody is torquing the handle, either intentionally or "unintentionally" (due to a different swing thought) from video of a player taking a full swing at a moving ball. It isn't going to look like the static drills that everybody associates with "handle torque".

Edit: The issue I have with AJ is how he moves out. You can move out balanced and still be "1 legged" at launch. To me he isn't quite balanced at launch and hence is why you see him have a more extreme "reverse C" action going on. He had issues with his move out even before TM worked with him.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I enjoyed the spring training video W=W posted, those guys are having a blast.

6:40 is a great example of how what a hitter thinks he is doing isn’t what he is really doing. “Level approach“ indeed.

I have no idea about the handle being torqued, lol

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The hands become more linear as they thrown off the rotating tilt a whirl. The further the ball is outside the earlier in the rotation the hands get thrown off. If the ball is inside they may never get thrown off.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I enjoyed the spring training video W=W posted, those guys are having a blast.

6:40 is a great example of how what a hitter thinks he is doing isn’t what he is really doing. “Level approach“ indeed.

I have no idea about the handle being torqued, lol
Around the 6:40 mark he says" I like the way you keep the shoulders square and just use your hands" and then the next swing his shoulders are wide open. The feel vs the real is still alive and well.

May 12, 2016
Feel vs Real...

Question, if most pros say they are thinking one thing (Feel), but resulting in something different during a full swing.. then why wouldn't we want our kids thinking(feel) the same way? My point is, most of these pros have seen their swing frame by frame 1000's of times ... yet when demoing/practicing/perfecting their swing it doesn't line up to their actual swing. So why do they continue to say I am thinking hands/knob down to the ball, level swing, stay square and let the hands work..etc? What's more important when teaching a kid how to swing a bat? Feel or Real?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying