More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't see a big difference between hand/forearm usage at launch between all 3 swings, agree? So either AJ isn't listening to TM with regards to this or, as I have alluded to previously, it is difficult to discern whether somebody is torquing the handle, either intentionally or "unintentionally" (due to a different swing thought) from video of a player taking a full swing at a moving ball. It isn't going to look like the static drills that everybody associates with "handle torque".

Edit: The issue I have with AJ is how he moves out. You can move out balanced and still be "1 legged" at launch. To me he isn't quite balanced at launch and hence is why you see him have a more extreme "reverse C" action going on. He had issues with his move out even before TM worked with him.

to an extent... ‘Torquing’ a handle or tipping a bat or throwing a ball are the same in this instance to me. I don’t feel it is used for force, but more for sequence. Or the preparation to throw when you cock your wrist. To create a tighter angle to generate more whipping action. A natural athletic reaction to something else, but yes to generate more force. I just don’t think it is a force in itself.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Feel vs Real...

Question, if most pros say they are thinking one thing (Feel), but resulting in something different during a full swing.. then why wouldn't we want our kids thinking(feel) the same way? My point is, most of these pros have seen their swing frame by frame 1000's of times ... yet when demoing/practicing/perfecting their swing it doesn't line up to their actual swing. So why do they continue to say I am thinking hands/knob down to the ball, level swing, stay square and let the hands work..etc? What's more important when teaching a kid how to swing a bat? Feel or Real?

The problem with many such discussions is that the assumption is one is right and one is wrong. Why is it so hard to believe that both can be right when viewed from different prisms?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Personally, I think the whole premise behind the ST video was to get your swing ‘long through the zone’. Get the hitter covering most of the zone.

Sean Casey said ‘I look for something out over the plate and react inside and trust my hands will get there’. That’s a survivors mentality. Right?

At the end of the day you can hit more pitches and survive longer in the game with this approach. If you are truly gifted you will be a star.

gimmicky hitting systems and fantasy bat speed drills are a farce. Work hard and long at your craft. There are no shortcuts. Jmho.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't see a big difference between hand/forearm usage at launch between all 3 swings, agree? So either AJ isn't listening to TM with regards to this or, as I have alluded to previously, it is difficult to discern whether somebody is torquing the handle, either intentionally or "unintentionally" (due to a different swing thought) from video of a player taking a full swing at a moving ball. It isn't going to look like the static drills that everybody associates with "handle torque".

Edit: The issue I have with AJ is how he moves out. You can move out balanced and still be "1 legged" at launch. To me he isn't quite balanced at launch and hence is why you see him have a more extreme "reverse C" action going on. He had issues with his move out even before TM worked with him.

Patter what's your definition of one legged at launch ? What purpose and or benefit is there to being one legged when powering the swing ? Or is it just a function of not shifting the wieght across the pelvis to the front leg ?

May 12, 2016
The problem with many such discussions is that the assumption is one is right and one is wrong. Why is it so hard to believe that both can be right when viewed from different prisms?
Not hard for to believe at all. Also my comments are not about right and wrong. If you look at a slo-mo of a MLBer and then listen to what they focus on, what their intentions are when demoing a swing you might say they are wrong. They are not practicing what they preach. However, they are not stupid, they don't want to look dumb, or mislead kids.. they've seen their swing over and over again... so why don't what they demo exactly match their swing?

My point is, they certainly have intentions, they have focus on what would make their swing most effective and that's what they talk about. And the results are hall of famers, 50 hr's a year, hitting the ball 500 feet. So what should we be teaching our kids.. what the MLBer focuses on during training, during demos etc.. or what we see in slo-motion frame by frame HL swings?

Aug 20, 2017
Feel vs Real

what you feel and I feel can be two different things. Some hitters need to feel something different to achieve the same mechanic. I’ve got hitters that I get to try feel things different from other hitters I’ve got but we are working on achieving similar swings

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not hard for to believe at all. Also my comments are not about right and wrong. If you look at a slo-mo of a MLBer and then listen to what they focus on, what their intentions are when demoing a swing you might say they are wrong. They are not practicing what they preach. However, they are not stupid, they don't want to look dumb, or mislead kids.. they've seen their swing over and over again... so why don't what they demo exactly match their swing?

My point is, they certainly have intentions, they have focus on what would make their swing most effective and that's what they talk about. And the results are hall of famers, 50 hr's a year, hitting the ball 500 feet. So what should we be teaching our kids.. what the MLBer focuses on during training, during demos etc.. or what we see in slo-motion frame by frame HL swings?

The key is being able to tell the difference... The tendency with many it to take things too literally. If you do that with what some of the pros say, it won't develop into a good swing. It's the same with many of the gurus. If you take their words too literally, you also won't develop a good swing. You need to be able to understand what they are saying and then apply it.

Jun 8, 2016
Or is it just a function of not shifting the wieght across the pelvis to the front leg ?
Pretty much this but to me it is more that the center of pressure doesn't shift past the bodies' midline (e.g. you don't have more pressure on your front foot at launch than you do your back foot). Saying the weight shifts just makes the engineer in me shudder... ;)

Dec 5, 2017
The key is being able to tell the difference... The tendency with many it to take things too literally. If you do that with what some of the pros say, it won't develop into a good swing. It's the same with many of the gurus. If you take their words too literally, you also won't develop a good swing. You need to be able to understand what they are saying and then apply it.
Kids definitely take things too literally, when my son started playing rec ball (long before I found this site) I watched some videos to try and help him with hitting. So we're in the back yard hitting off the tee, in March so it's cold, and I tell him to practice taking his hands to the ball without a bat. He proceeds to double sideways karate chop the ball and then almost starts crying, it's cold in March. I don't think he ever listened to me again :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598