more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2016
Speaking as a HC if a player participated in these type of shenanigans it would only happen twice. The first time they would be warned, the second time they are done. Same goes for not standing for the national anthem or other BS antics. News flash - this is not about them, it is about the game, the organization, and the team. My Circus. My Monkeys, My Rules.

Sorry, but isn't better that they do these things because they believe in them, not because they are being forced.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As such her actions were highly inappropriate.

My DD said that if she had ever dropped her hand for the post-game high five, her coaches would have ran her until her socks wore out.

Stupid player, stupid coach. Reminds of when UCLA threw away a second place trophy after a tournament in Alabama.

May 20, 2015
So none of you can think of a situation where this player came up to her coach and said "this is what I am going to do and why" and you would at least support her decision, even if you did not fully agree with it?

i certainly can think of some instances where i would have respected her decision and taken the fallout for it, even if i did not 100% agree with it......

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sorry, but isn't better that they do these things because they believe in them, not because they are being forced.

Her personal feelings are of no consequence in the matter. Once again, when you put on the uniform and step out on to the field it is not about you. She was acting like a teenager in middle school and should be held accountable for her actions. I assure you that the AD at Auburn is not having a good week. My DD is not a fan of the Gator program, Walton, and some of the players. But she would never dream of acting the fool, making it about her and showing such blatant disrespect. As an athlete representing the NCAA, your school, and your program you just do not do this type of crap. They have mandatory seminars for athletes on this type of stuff.

This is how it works in the real world. When you are on the job it is not about you. When you punch out and leave for the day then you are on your time, and it can be about you. However, even then your association with your employer/organization cannot be ignored and you will be held accountable if you act like an rear-hat.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So none of you can think of a situation where this player came up to her coach and said "this is what I am going to do and why" and you would at least support her decision, even if you did not fully agree with it?

i certainly can think of some instances where i would have respected her decision and taken the fallout for it, even if i did not 100% agree with it......

No, I can't and would never tolerate it. If they cannot represent the game, the organization and the team with honor then they need to stay off the field. The game is not there as a platform for individuals to act out or make statements. If they want to do that then they can meet their BFF's at the mall and do what they want.

Once I again I have to throw out names like Geno Auriemma, Dawn Staley, John Wooden, Pat Summit, etc. I cannot imagine they would put up with this type of crap. I am sincerely hoping that Clint Meyers was oblivious to this as I expect better of him and his program.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
I am surprised sports continue to do a hand shake line at the end of a competition. I see very little upside...I like how Major League Baseball players handle a win - they congratulate their teammates. No need to 'visit' with the other team.

My son recently started lacrosse. Locally--not sure if this is a nationwide thing or not--our leagues have an "Honor the Game" ceremony after each game.

Teams line up facing each other. The head coach says a few encouraging words, "Great game. Everybody fought hard, etc." then picks two boys on his team to recognize two boys from the other team and vice versa. 4 boys each game get a pin or coin or something.

Then teams converge and shake hands. Each boy shakes hands with one or two or five of the other team. Takes about 2-4 minutes.

I know this couldn't work in weekend tournaments with tight time constraints but it is a refreshing change from the now-meaningless hi-five line.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
From what I understand and reviewing Auburn's roster, Kasey Fagan and Cheyenne Coyle - 2 of the 3 players kicked off the 2012 Gator team, are on Auburn's staff as Graduate assistants. Don't know if they travelled for this series or were part of the Auburn on-field contingent or part of the post-game festivities, but Clint Meyers would be at serious fault if he had not discussed conduct expectations with Haley Fagan and his coaching staff prior to the Gator series, if not prior to this season and/or signing/hire dates.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
TW as far as I know is a nice person (I've met him a few times) and he's apologized for any wrong doing.

Said Fagin sister continues to think she did nothing wrong and the Fagin family as a whole......well......yeah.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I guess we disagree I think she did both. She showed sportsmanship to the FL players and she obviously has no respect for the FL staff and did what she did instead of pretend otherwise.

As Riseball pointed out, when she puts on the uniform she represents Auburn University, not the Fagan clan. If she and her family have a beef with Tim Walton and the UF coaching staff then they can take them off their Christmas Card list, but if my DD did something like that she would have bigger problems on her hands than the HC or AD...

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Actually, to amend my previous statement, she could've still shoved TW and walked away and this thread wouldn't exist.
It was her antics at drew attention to this.

Tim dismissed (2) fagans and Cheyenne Coyle just as the team started the 2012 post season, a critical time to make a major change. I'm thinking there must have been a good reason For a coach to remove (3) starters from the lineup at that point in the season. No one on either side talks about what happened, so we'll never know.

Whether Tim was wrong or not doesn't change her actions that followed. How about someone taking the high road for a change?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes