more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Their players are not youths. They are adults who to one degree or another are compensated . Make no mistake college athletics is a business, and in the case of some programs a very big business. While you may not personally look to them for guidance, many do just that and are more than happy to pay for the opportunity to hear them speak on various subjects.

So [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] ... I understand your feeling about the player but how about you address the coach. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE THE AD?

Granted as a quality AD who values character you would not hire a bush league !$#%^@$% (I don't want banned) like Walton but if you inherited him and there is no doubt in your mind (which there should not be) that he purposely pushed a player on another team exactly what stance would you take?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] ... I understand your feeling about the player but how about you address the coach. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE THE AD?

Granted as a quality AD who values character you would not hire a bush league !$#%^@$% (I don't want banned) like Walton but if you inherited him and there is no doubt in your mind (which there should not be) that he purposely pushed a player on another team exactly what stance would you take?

Hard to say is there is much we do not know. We have no idea what other conversations have taken place with the administration, the NCAA, etc. Would anyone here be surprised if there was already a lawsuit in the works? Speaking in very broad generalities if I were the AD at either Florida or Auburn I would certainly want to get the coaches perspective. I am very much about if you screw up, admit it, learn from it, and move on. To that end I would then make sure there were no further public comments on the subject from anyone as it is a no-win proposition. Waltons non-apology, apology tweet was ill advised as it just stoked the fire. The reality is that unless it is mishandled, over time it will just go away. I would also make crystal clear my expectation that nothing like it will ever happen again.

Sep 29, 2014
Hard to say is there is much we do not know. We have no idea what other conversations have taken place with the administration, the NCAA, etc. Would anyone here be surprised if there was already a lawsuit in the works? Speaking in very broad generalities if I were the AD at either Florida or Auburn I would certainly want to get the coaches perspective. I am very much about if you screw up, admit it, learn from it, and move on. To that end I would then make sure there were no further public comments on the subject from anyone as it is a no-win proposition. Waltons non-apology, apology tweet was ill advised as it just stoked the fire. The reality is that unless it is mishandled, over time it will just go away. I would also make crystal clear my expectation that nothing like it will ever happen again.

Just seemed like you were willing to hang the player out to dry no tolerance for crap but then give Walton a pass...just wanted to clarify.

The thing is Walton has the built in I really did not mean it stance that would honestly be hard to disprove but I think we all have a really good idea of what he was thinking (I'm tired of being shown up by this little brat I'll show her) he just need to be thankful Fagan is not 6 ft tall or there would be a lawsuit and firing.

In the end I think everyone would be best served to put this all behind them and move on there is more than enough blame to go around but if I have to put 51% of the blame on someone it is going to be Walton.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just seemed like you were willing to hang the player out to dry no tolerance for crap but then give Walton a pass...just wanted to clarify.

The thing is Walton has the built in I really did not mean it stance that would honestly be hard to disprove but I think we all have a really good idea of what he was thinking (I'm tired of being shown up by this little brat I'll show her) he just need to be thankful Fagan is not 6 ft tall or there would be a lawsuit and firing.

In the end I think everyone would be best served to put this all behind them and move on there is more than enough blame to go around but if I have to put 51% of the blame on someone it is going to be Walton.

By no means would give either party a free pass. The SEC and other conferences have worked very hard to build an audience and expand their base. Then two self absorbed people behaving poorly turned the Monday night (national TV) SEC game into a media circus. As they say at the house of the mouse - Not good show!

While we do not know exactly what Walton was thinking, if he was at all, I think the smart money is on your speculation. :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Well put.
We can guess or quote rumors about the Fagan family and Florida situation that led up to this. However, without knowing you can't really judge her actions. For me personally, there are a few things that would justify her actions towards the Florida coaching staff.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well put.
We can guess or quote rumors about the Fagan family and Florida situation that led up to this. However, without knowing you can't really judge her actions. For me personally, there are a few things that would justify her actions towards the Florida coaching staff.

I live in Orlando and have followed this saga from day one. All I have ever heard is rumors or speculation regarding what happened in 2012. I know folks that were/are close to the program and know exactly what happened. Not that I ever asked, but everyone has remained very tight lipped. It all happened very quickly and just as quickly people moved on.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, both coach and player were wrong.

a) If I were the AD at Auburn: I would ask the player, "What is a 21YOA woman doing getting into a pushing match with a 45YOA man? How can this possibly be good for U of Auburn?" I would require the player be benched for a game.
b) If I were the AD at Florida: I would ask the coach, "What is a 45YOA man doing getting into a pushing match with a 21YOA woman? How can this possibly be good for U of F?" Then, I would suspend him for a game.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I wonder if ESPN sensed the tension from the 2 previous games,
and setup the camera angles to focus upon when/where Fagan and Walton met in the line...

Just sayin'...

I do agree with the comment above: If Walton just ignores Fagan and continues on to the next player, there is no controversy...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wonder if ESPN sensed the tension from the 2 previous games,
and setup the camera angles to focus upon when/where Fagan and Walton met in the line...

Just sayin'...

I do agree with the comment above: If Walton just ignores Fagan and continues on to the next player, there is no controversy...

Seriously doubt they would muck with the camera locations. Have been to more than a couple SEC venues and changing a camera location would not be a trivial matter. However, did someone notice her behavior in the first 2 games and the director called for a specific shot? That is certainly a possibility.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
So none of you can think of a situation where this player came up to her coach and said "this is what I am going to do and why" and you would at least support her decision, even if you did not fully agree with it?

i certainly can think of some instances where i would have respected her decision and taken the fallout for it, even if i did not 100% agree with it......

I don't think so. MSESPN showed her explaining to Myers what happened after it had happened. She was demonstrating what TM did. At least that's my take on it :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom