more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
My two cents after reviewing the video and some of the comments:

1) I do believe it was intentional on TW's part - he reacted too quickly as if expecting a reaction from her. And he did reach out knowing her hand was not up.

2) In regards to her not high fiving, I understand that it's good sportsmanship to do so BUT she obviously lacks respect and has very little regard for TW - that is her choice and her reasons are hers and hers alone - and instead of obviously singling out TW, she did it to all coaches (not sure about players). TW should have backed off and respected that instead of antagonizing her.

3) ON the note of #2, has anyone even looked at her behavior for other opponents? Just curious as to what her demeanor is towards coaches on other teams...I looked and couldn't find any clips.

I think bottom line is that TW reacted and probably should have kept his hands to himself - his reaction made both of them look bad.

May 4, 2016
I don't know maybe I'm raising soft kids but I teach my kids to stand up for what they believe in and to also to always have their siblings back. Here the player did both she had the back of her sisters and she was standing up for what she believed in a non-confrontational manner. Demanding you give hi five after a game is ridiculous, what we should be doing is teaching respect and sportsmanship where players want to give hi fives because they respect the other players and coaches not because it is demanded.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
2) In regards to her not high fiving, I understand that it's good sportsmanship to do so BUT she obviously lacks respect and has very little regard for TW - that is her choice and her reasons are hers and hers alone - and instead of obviously singling out TW, she did it to all coaches (not sure about players). TW should have backed off and respected that instead of antagonizing her.

As a coach, I would have an issue with any of my players doing this. Regardless of the circumstances, if the entire team is lining up to shake hands, all the players need to participate. If you are going to visibly protest by not shaking the hand of a single person (or group of people), then stay in the dugout and don't come out at all. If I witnessed or was informed that one of my players did this, I would start by having a private conversation with him/her. I would then explain my expectations. And if it happened again, the player would sit the following game.

If the tradition changed and we no longer lined up after games, I would have no issue with that at all. I really don't have an opinion on the post game line one way or another. But as long as it exists, my entire team will participate.

Added: If during our private conversation the player is capable of convincing me that the "protest" is reasonable or warranted, I would try to find a compromise. More than likely that compromise would be to instruct the player to either stay in the dugout or proceed to the clubhouse prior to the forming of the line. Either fully participate or do not participate at all. Just my thoughts on the matter...

Last edited:
May 7, 2014
There are reports that the Fagan sisters were dismissed from the team due to altercation that evolved from racist actions on their part. Not sure if that's true or not. Where there's smoke, however...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't know maybe I'm raising soft kids but I teach my kids to stand up for what they believe in and to also to always have their siblings back. Here the player did both she had the back of her sisters and she was standing up for what she believed in a non-confrontational manner. Demanding you give hi five after a game is ridiculous, what we should be doing is teaching respect and sportsmanship where players want to give hi fives because they respect the other players and coaches not because it is demanded.

How is ''always have your siblings back'' different than ''always show respect to your opponent after the game with hi-fives''? Why do you teach one and call the other ridiculous?

Also, what you describe as ''non-confrontational'' is very confrontational, IMO, in a classic passive-aggressive way.

It's fine to teach kids to stand up for what they believe in, but IMO, it's more important to teach kids to make good decisions. Was ''what she believes in'' really worth showing up the Florida coaching staff like that? She was wearing an Auburn uniform and representing a team and school. You don't take an opportunity given to you by Auburn University to express a personal beef. Do that on your own time if you must.

Standing up for what we believe in is fine, but a lot of jerks can do that. They have a tougher time showing class and exercising good judgment. Not saying the Auburn player is a jerk, nor siding with the Florida coach. Both were out of line, IMO.

May 20, 2015
How is ''always have your siblings back'' different than ''always show respect to your opponent after the game with hi-fives''? Why do you teach one and call the other ridiculous?

Also, what you describe as ''non-confrontational'' is very confrontational, IMO, in a classic passive-aggressive way.

It's fine to teach kids to stand up for what they believe in, but IMO, it's more important to teach kids to make good decisions. Was ''what she believes in'' really worth showing up the Florida coaching staff like that? She was wearing an Auburn uniform and representing a team and school. You don't take an opportunity given to you by Auburn University to express a personal beef. Do that on your own time if you must.

Standing up for what we believe in is fine, but a lot of jerks can do that. They have a tougher time showing class and exercising good judgment. Not saying the Auburn player is a jerk, nor siding with the Florida coach. Both were out of line, IMO.

however, like i said above......obviously by game 3 the Auburn staff knew of her decision, and at least accepted it if not allowed it, and that is their decision to make....Walton is the one that took issue with it, and took the matter into his own hands

she's not his monkey, Auburn is not his circus.......nothing she did excuses his decision to push her

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

There is a difference between standing up for what you believe and good sportsmanship...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1