More DP/flex sub questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
To summarize for the OP:

can a bench player sub in as an offense-only player for the original DP, which, would make the new player the new DP?

Yes

Scenario 1: Flex comes in to run for DP.

Question: To my knowledge, this is a substitution, meaning the DP is now out of the game.

Regardless of what you call it, at that point the DP is out of the game.

If I want to bring the DP back into the game on offense, can she come in for any player other than the flex in the batting lineup?

No.

Or can she re-enter only in the spot she previously vacated in the lineup?

Correct.

And to think this is one of the simpler scenarios :)

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Not true. The dp/flex is never eliminated at any time during the game. Having the flex bat or run for the same dp twice would eliminate that particular dp fro reentry however any available substitute can assume the dp position in the batting order and the dp position is still part of the lneup

I stand corrected then...and will definitely remember this for future tournaments...because not once in the last two years of tournaments that DD has played has any umpire ever agreed that the original DP is burned if she's run for twice by the original Flex...

Oct 10, 2010
[ You can put in the Flex as a runner for the DP anytime and it is NOT counted as a formal substitution - however, you do need to make sure that the PU knows you have not formally substituted the Flex for the DP (thereby changing the batting lineup from 10 to 9) and that your batting lineup remains at 10 players (9 starters + Flex).

If you have the Flex bat for the DP, then you have officially substituted the Flex for the DP and can now re-enter the DP once without having to permanently replace her with the Flex. The DP MUST re-enter the game in the SAME batting order position in which she started the game - upon which the Flex moves back to batting position 10.

As with any starter, you can substitute a non-starter for your original DP or Flex and the normal substitution rules apply.[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack your thread....SO the flex can basically courtesy run for the DP?? DP gets on Base, I can call in a runner (Flex) for my DP and let the Ump know she is just running and NOT replacing the DP??

Jun 22, 2008
No, the flex is not and cannot be a "courtesy runner" for the DP. The DP is an offensive position and must play offense, this includes running the bases. The flex is a defensive position and must play defense, although they can play offense, but only in the DP position. If the flex plays offense (even just running the bases for the DP), they have replaced the DP who has left the game and it is a substitution for the DP.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Not to hijack your thread....SO the flex can basically courtesy run for the DP?? DP gets on Base, I can call in a runner (Flex) for my DP and let the Ump know she is just running and NOT replacing the DP??

No, see the follow-ups. The flex can run if you take the player who is the DP out. But if you want the same DP player to play again, she has to be put back in, which uses up her one re-entry.

Jun 21, 2010
Something interesting over the weekend. I wasn't aware you could substitute bench players into the DP position. I suppose to give all team members a chance to play ( at bat ) in the championship game.

Jun 22, 2008
Something interesting over the weekend. I wasn't aware you could substitute bench players into the DP position. I suppose to give all team members a chance to play ( at bat ) in the championship game.

Any position in the lineup can be subbed for as long as it is a legal substitute.

Jul 28, 2008
Another item that I like to do for the DP/Flex rule is to put in a great hitter and defensive player, but runs like she's chained to a 53 Buick as my flex. And I put a fast runner in for my DP. When the DP comes up in the batting order, I substitute in my flex for the DP's spot in the lineup to hit. She hits and gets on base. Then I re-enter my DP to run for her. If she doesn't hit, don't do anything to the lineup until she does get on base.

The more you learn about this rule, the more options it gives you as a coach. Of course there are some umpire's that also get confused with the rule. Make sure you know it well and don't mess up and create an illegal player by using it.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole