Mitt padding suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
I did a search, but couldn't find a comprehensive thread on this subject. If there is one, please point me in the right direction ...

DD is 12yo and catches for a 12U TB team. The pitchers mostly top out around 47-48 mph. One of the coaches (who she hopes will be her middle school coach this year, provided she makes the team) just asked her to start working out with the starting middle school pitcher in a couple weeks. This girl tops out at 60 mph consistently, which is quite a big difference for my DD. To get her prepared for that kind of speed, she's been receiving the pitching machine in the cage during her winter workouts. The past couple times, she has complained about her index finger being a little sore.

I know the first reaction is going to be that she needs a sturdier, more padded mitt than her Mizuno GSX92... which is probably the case if she's going to regularly catch this girl. However, I don't want to make that change just yet.

What padding products/solutions have you guys found the best, specifically for index finger padding but also for general mitt padding.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 5, 2013
Eric F - My DD also uses the EvoShield Thumb Guard. Combined with better technique, it eliminated all of her thumb pain. In fact, if we go with a padded glove, we may have to get her another one to go over the glove.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I move my finger all over one slot, leaving the index finger spot "open". It also helps in closing the glove especially with small hands.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, to the evo shield thumb guard. Whatever was wrong with my thumb has had a chance to heal, now. Thanks to the thumb guard.

If she is catching a dicey girl that is throwing 60 mph, it would be well worth your time to move her up to a "professional" glove, now. You can always resell it, if it doesn't work out.

I use a microfiber sponge inside my glove. It protects my palm and it keeps the dirt and grime off of the interior of my glove. For you guys, think the round sponge that comes in a can of car wax.

But my best advice for protecting the pointer finger, is a glove with a better pocket. Good luck.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric F - My DD also uses the EvoShield Thumb Guard. Combined with better technique, it eliminated all of her thumb pain. In fact, if we go with a padded glove, we may have to get her another one to go over the glove.

If you use the Xprotex glove, yes, you will probably need a new thumb guard, too. The padding of the glove is too bulky for a thumb guard that has been fitted to a bare hand.

Warming up our starting pitcher before our first game of the season, my DD didn't notice that her thumb guard had fallen out, and took a fastball off the base of her thumb that bruised her deeply. There has been a lot of tears involved, but she has toughed it out through 2 games without being able to squeeze her glove closed very well. Lesson: WEAR YOUR THUMB GUARD EVERY TIME!!!

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
A Vinci JCV-22 series mitt in either 33 or 34 inch would be the best fix. I have yet to find another manufacturer protecting the palm better.

Usually the palm and thumb take a beating when receiving faster pitches.... This makes me wonder if she is putting her glove on correctly (Many catchers don't know any better) or there may be something different about how she receives pitches. It would be helpful to view some video of her receiving pitches from the pitchers vantage point. The root cause may not be due to glove padding....

As far as putting her glove on, many catchers don't realize where their fingers rest in their mitt when they put it on. I actually cut the thumb off a glove to illustrate to my catchers the importance of the thumb loop in their gloves. The thumb rests in the palm and not behind the padded/reinforced thumb section of the glove. The only way to protect the thumb is to use the thumb loop and cinch it tight enough to draw it behind the extra padding. The same goes for the pinkie, but to a lesser extent. Is she using her thumb and pinkie loops and keeping them tight?

Feb 5, 2013
Chazbz1 - Great question about the thumb and pinkie loops. Short answer, I have no idea ... but I'll double check with her on that.

However, the issues she's having isn't with her thumb anymore at all. Likewise, it's not really her palm either. It's really her index finger. Nothing near as severe as the pain catcher's get with "catcher's thumb", but more of a stinging that I'm afraid might turn into bruising if left unchecked.

Thanks everyone!

Jul 9, 2009
IL
My daughter has tried most options. Once you catch a pitch just wrong (or hit with ball while batting) it's hard to undo the damage quickly during the playing season.

However, I haven't heard of a peep from her regarding bad fingers since she switched to a Vinci glove about 2-years ago - JCV-VM model. I had forgotten all about those days prior to reading this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission