Minimum Scholarship Numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I suspect the 4 scholarships are the total number of athletic scholarships because having 4 for a particular year would be above average. It might be worthwhile to check whether the school has less athletic scholarships because they prefer to give it out based on academics and/or financial need.

Many talk about Ivy schools not having athletic scholarships and rarely mention they also don't have academic scholarships. Everybody that meets Ivy admissions standards is deserving of academic money, so they choose to grant aid strictly on financial need and they are very generous due to their huge endowments.

Great point and I often misrepresent this as "academic monies." My dd was recruited by one school in the Ivy League. I almost choked when the math was done and we were told that we'd only have to play $34,000 additional per year to have her attend that school.

Ok so probably not the right place to make this comment but the coach also said that while that might seem high, think of the boy she might potentially meet and marry and what their joint incomes would someday be. LOL! (The coach did laugh after this!)

Mar 26, 2013
Great point and I often misrepresent this as "academic monies." My dd was recruited by one school in the Ivy League. I almost choked when the math was done and we were told that we'd only have to play $34,000 additional per year to have her attend that school.
I hope that wasn't based on the FAFSA calculations because the Ivy aid calcs are totally different. Most people don't realize that.

I don't know what all the Ivy schools offer. The ones I've heard about (i.e. Dartmouth, Harvard and Yale) were all similar at no cost for adjusted gross income under $80k. Harvard slowly increases to around $17k at $170k AGI and isn't full cost until around $235k.

I suspect the 4 scholarships are the total number of athletic scholarships because having 4 for a particular year would be above average. It might be worthwhile to check whether the school has less athletic scholarships because they prefer to give it out based on academics and/or financial need.

Many talk about Ivy schools not having athletic scholarships and rarely mention they also don't have academic scholarships. Everybody that meets Ivy admissions standards is deserving of academic money, so they choose to grant aid strictly on financial need and they are very generous due to their huge endowments.

100% correct about ivy league schools....

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How can you not fill out a FASFA? I even had to do that, when DD went to cosmetology school. We never qualified for aid, but my son needed it to even get housing at U of Chicago.

Oct 18, 2009
The maximum scholarships a D1 school can have is 12. There are schools that are not fully funded. Some schools that are not fully funded have 4 to give out total for their entire roster.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
My experience is that the Ivy League tuition is like buying a car. Unless you are very wealthy, nobody pays "sticker" price. We are definitely stretching ourselves to send DD, but after all her hard work on the field and in school we felt the sacrifice was the right choice for us.

She has never been happier, loves her school and teammates. Plus, if she ever decides not to play, there's no scholarship money to take away. Our aid package will be exactly the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1