Minimum Scholarship Numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 31, 2013
I know not every program is fully funded at DI, but our travel coach was talking to a program who claimed they only had 4 scholarships. This didn't make much since, why would they have a program with three coaches and only have 4 scholarships. Is there a minimum number a school has to fund to be DI,DII? The numbers seem to be a closely guarded secret.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are no minimum requirements. There are maximum requirements. For example, Ivy League schools do not give out athletic scholarships and yet, they are D-I. I can't speak for the program you referenced and don't know the details. I tend to agree with the others that 4 was the number of scholarships he has left for a potential year. Most of those will not be full but rather shared in some formula that the coaching staff has. For example one girl might get 60% while another will get 40%. If you look at the 12 scholarships for D-I programs, rarely will you find a D-I program that has below 20 players on the roster. So, those scholarships are divided up unless they have a stud pitcher or two who might get a full. This year, Alabama has 18 girls on its roster. Last year, Oklahoma had 21 on its roster. I hope you are getting the point.

DD went on an official visit to a school in the Missouri Valley Conference that had expressed a lot of interest in her. When we got there, we met the coach who was fired up and ready to go showing dd the softball portion of the tour before turning it over to a player. We really like the campus etc. Then came the bad news. The coach only had 9 scholarships at this D-I. She had 20 on the roster. Coach would "work with us" but hoped dd could qualify for academic monies so that the school would be more attractive. To be honest, we left there thinking that if the number of scholarships available to the HC was an indication of the support of the coaching staff and program then we didn't want dd to go to that school. Sure enough, coach was fired next year which would have been dd's freshman year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
NCAA Title IX states that for every male athlete on scholarship there needs to be a female athlete on scholarship. The schools are free to use those scholarships for any sport, but there are maximum numbers allowed for every sport. The maximum for D1 softball is 12.

If your DD has a choice, push her to play golf. A lot of schools like to give female athletes golf scholarships because they do not have to provide any facilities, and they do not need to field a team of 20+ to be competitive.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was reading where woman's lacross is the next sport to really take off. Maybe that is something I can get GDD involved in.

As has been stated many times, on this site, it is the academic money that a HS girl should be striving for. For the top D1s she has to have nearly perfect grades, anyway. So, it is the academic moneys that help make up the full ride. Getting a full ride for softball is about as common as a 12 YO throwing 60mph. We hear about it, but never actually see it.

Dec 31, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. I won't get into the program since I wasn't the one who spoke to the coach. My daughter played well in Florida was invited down to their camp. Her TB coach was following up with the college coach on how she did and what they thought of my daughter. The TB coach said when he was speaking with them that they were still very interested and it came up they only had 4 scholarships for the program. I told our TB coach that doesn't sound right that they only had 4 but I wasn't going to push it. My daughter is a 2016 and doesn't want to make a decision on softball at this point.

My daughter understands the importance of grades and is an honor student who has scored well on her PSAT. My daughter has already picked her sports Field Hockey and Softball.

I just thought 4 was low and couldn't find anything about minimums so I'd figure I'd ask the knowledge of the board.

I couldn't imagine that a school would have three paid coach's and only 4 scholarships.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I was reading where woman's lacross is the next sport to really take off. Maybe that is something I can get GDD involved in.

As has been stated many times, on this site, it is the academic money that a HS girl should be striving for. For the top D1s she has to have nearly perfect grades, anyway. So, it is the academic moneys that help make up the full ride. Getting a full ride for softball is about as common as a 12 YO throwing 60mph. We hear about it, but never actually see it.

I love lacrosse - if your GDD loves to run she will love lacrosse. My daughter was pretty good at it - we actually tried to push her in that direction. Interestingly, though, she took offense to the defense-women "getting all up in my face". She'll stare down a batter and catch line drives hit right at her head but deal with a pesky player getting in her way while she's trying to run down field? No thank you.

Thirdn1 - we're also just starting the process with college searches - it does seem illogical at times. Academically, we've found that some universities have "honors programs", which you apply for specifically. One offers students an $8000/year scholarship if they are accepted to this program. Just another interesting wrinkle in this process.

Mar 26, 2013
NCAA Title IX states that for every male athlete on scholarship there needs to be a female athlete on scholarship. The schools are free to use those scholarships for any sport, but there are maximum numbers allowed for every sport.
The actual requirement is the gender participation in sports is substantially proportionate with the undergraduate student body. Scholarships are not mentioned, but they obviously affect participation. If a gender is underrepresented, the school needs to show they are continually expanding opportunities and/or meeting the interest and abilities of that gender.

Mar 26, 2013
I suspect the 4 scholarships are the total number of athletic scholarships because having 4 for a particular year would be above average. It might be worthwhile to check whether the school has less athletic scholarships because they prefer to give it out based on academics and/or financial need.

Many talk about Ivy schools not having athletic scholarships and rarely mention they also don't have academic scholarships. Everybody that meets Ivy admissions standards is deserving of academic money, so they choose to grant aid strictly on financial need and they are very generous due to their huge endowments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877