Mini TLUD 2010

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2021
Well I guess this is the place to track progress. Today is day 1 with a new bat, getting ready to start the 10U season, hopefully sized properly. She was told to not swing as hard as she could until we get the bat a little broken in. Very last hit she was told to swing away. Currently looking for a batting coach since my very limited knowledge will probably screw her up.

Jun 8, 2016
BTW if there is a better way to share vid I’m all ears

That works but you may want to make a youtube channel and upload it (make it public) on there. Copy and paste the video link into a message on here. Also better off posting the fullspeed video. If somebody wants to slow it down they can do it on youtube (or they can pull the frames themselves and make a gif with a slower frame rate)

Jan 27, 2021
Thank you! I forgot I even had a YouTube channel. And by golly that’s way easier. Anyways here is the full speed version. I know we have a long way to go, but hopefully with some work she can be competitive enough to enjoy it (and maybe even venture into travel:oops:?)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thank you! I forgot I even had a YouTube channel. And by golly that’s way easier. Anyways here is the full speed version. I know we have a long way to go, but hopefully with some work she can be competitive enough to enjoy it (and maybe even venture into travel:oops:?)

shes 10? Big kid. I like her stance and starting posture. Where she goes bad is when she opens up to swing. I would work some babe Ruth drills off tee and then toss. Try to maintain angles for as long as possible(staying closed). Work some ‘step backs’ also while maintaining head position relative to her body.

start the drill w the front hip/shoulder lined up to the second basemen. Try to maintain those angles as long as possible. Hit it up the middle. Do the same w the step back drill. I prefer tee work to be done more out front then deep. There is a time and place for deep tee. I don’t think she needs that as of now.

not sure if that bat is too heavy. Make sure she can handle what she is swinging. If that’s her only one, choke up a bit if it’s heavy.

step back:

1612269448493.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Babe Ruth drill:

I like the feet crossed version better however if your DD has a hard time with the balance/getting her feet uncrossed with that version start with the uncrossed version (even though he likes to do what his big sister does, my 5 YO DS gets a little funky when he tries to do the feet crossed version :LOL: )

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021
Lol, now you see why I have to bring a copy of her birth certificate to games. She’s still 10 until late April. A classmate of hers was in the cage next to us getting instruction from one of the high school girls. She’s closer in size to the high schooler than her classmate. As far as the open up that is entirely my fault and exactly why I want to get her a real batting coach. I know she needs to open up and end up driving her knee to second base. Prob is idk the sequence or proper way to teach her. She was naturally stepping how the guy in your GIF was doing, but didn’t open up at the end. So my dumbass was trying to get her to open up during her step-Wrong moron.
Thank you for the drill! Maybe her and I can watch it and she can try it tonight

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Lol, now you see why I have to bring a copy of her birth certificate to games. She’s still 10 until late April. A classmate of hers was in the cage next to us getting instruction from one of the high school girls. She’s closer in size to the high schooler than her classmate. As far as the open up that is entirely my fault and exactly why I want to get her a real batting coach. I know she needs to open up and end up driving her knee to second base. Prob is idk the sequence or proper way to teach her. She was naturally stepping how the guy in your GIF was doing, but didn’t open up at the end. So my dumbass was trying to get her to open up during her step-Wrong moron.
Thank you for the drill! Maybe her and I can watch it and she can try it tonight

you can search this site with key words like ‘sequence’ and learn what you need to. You can also video your progress through the drills and toss and get feedback here. There are a lot of willing and helpful folks here.

as far as driving the back knee down... that kills the lower halfs power and will accentuate the opening up and will have her dragging the barrel. Wouldn’t do that..

Jun 8, 2016
How many times a week is she hitting?

Jan 27, 2021
How many times a week is she hitting?
They just unlocked the cages again so we are trying for 3-4 times per week. Once it gets warmer and the days a bit longer we can practice any day as long as there isn’t a game. -The only benefit of living 150ft from the softball field

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi