Middle School girls playing High School ball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
That's a great question. I live on a state line ...one doesn't allow it ... the other you see 7th and 8th graders all the time.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I did some research into this myself...in my area, at least, middle school players are allowed to "play up" in high school, but each year they play reduces their HS eligibility by one year. So a girl who plays HS ball in 8th grade will have one less year to play when she's actually in high school. Personally...I'd rather see my daughter play as a senior than as an 8th grader.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My 8th grade DD goes to a private Christian school that has pre-K through 12th grade on the same campus. They have a really good softball program for MS & HS. My DD starts at SS and our starting catcher is also a 8th grader. There is 2 other non starting 8th graders on this HS team as well. If these 4 girls were playing on our MS team they would just about be unbeatable in our conference. So says the MS coach.....

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I did some research into this myself...in my area, at least, middle school players are allowed to "play up" in high school, but each year they play reduces their HS eligibility by one year. So a girl who plays HS ball in 8th grade will have one less year to play when she's actually in high school. Personally...I'd rather see my daughter play as a senior than as an 8th grader.

When our HS coach ask my DD to try out for HS, this was my first question. In our conference it doesn't effect her eligibility. She can play HS ball for 5 years.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I live in an area where this doesn't happen. How does an 8th grader end up playing on a high school team? I'm just really curious...

I'm not in a rural area (very suburban) and 7th and 8th graders are eligible to play HS ball. Last year, there were 2 8th graders that played JV in our district. I know of a 7th grader a couple of years back was the starting SS on the varsity team in one of the smaller HS's in the area.

CP

Jan 3, 2014
We live in the Minneapolis region, not out in the sticks either. I was told there'd be no issue with eligibility in her senior year. Like I said in the other thread, they asked her to tryout, so she did. I asked the question about eligibility and they told me it's not an issue here. I guess we'll see when the time comes. But, I really doubt I've been lied to.

As far as my DD making Varsity: It's a rebuilding year, that's for sure. We'll take our lumps.

Aug 13, 2013
New here....but my DD may be able to start JV for the independent school here in Washington DC that she's attending next year- it's a K-12, and won't have any effects on her HS eligibility.

ETA: She will be in 8th grade

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
My DD was the starting P at her old school last year at a 7th grader. We do live in a rural area, but the whole state of Mississippi is under this rule. Of course all but about 50 square miles of MS is rual. :D She's an 8th grader this year at a different school and has played in about half the games as the #2 pitcher and pinch hitter.

Against some HS girls, she's over matched, but against most, she more than holds her own.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles