Middle School girls playing High School ball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In Florida, if the school includes 6th-8th grade they are eligible to play HS ball (without losing eligibility).

Technically you can actually play 7 years for varsity HS. In general though it only happens at high schools with very marginal teams, although there are some clear exceptions.

They actually ended up adding in rules that you could only play 1 year per grade of middle school (to stop some idiot parents in boys football and basketball who were keeping their kids in 8th grade an extra year so they weren't using up their HS year eligibility).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In Florida, if the school includes 6th-8th grade they are eligible to play HS ball (without losing eligibility).

Technically you can actually play 7 years for varsity HS. In general though it only happens at high schools with very marginal teams, although there are some clear exceptions.

They actually ended up adding in rules that you could only play 1 year per grade of middle school (to stop some idiot parents in boys football and basketball who were keeping their kids in 8th grade an extra year so they weren't using up their HS year eligibility).

We see it often with smaller private schools that probably could not otherwise field a team.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
Thanks for all of the responses. I was really curious how they were able to do that. We live in southeast Texas, and there aren't any middle school teams. Our town has a population of around 18,000. We have 1 high school, and it has JV and Varsity.

Dec 19, 2012
In Kentucky MS kids in 7th and 8th grade play HS ball and the kids have 6 years of HS eligibility.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
AT my school we have an 8th grader playing SS at Varsity and a 8th grader playing P/LF on JV. They go through a series of fitness tests and, I think not sure, maturity tests. The they are graded out to be eligible to play either JV or Varsity. They have to try out and make the team. If its too much for them they go back to MS ball. Its up to the Varsity coach to identify the MS players who might be good enough to move up.

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
Here in SC, at least in my area, we have a B team, JV, and Varsity. Middle school is 6-8. High Scool is 9-12. Only 7th and 8th graders can play on the B team. 7-12 can play JV or Varsity. Very few 7th and 8th graders can play up in JV if they are skilled enough. We have only one very good 8th grade pitcher who plays both JV and some varsity. There is also one slapper/catcher who is in the 7th grade who is the starting catcher/lead off hitter who plays on JV.

Who says hard work dosent pay off!!!

/brag. :)

Nov 18, 2013
We live in the Minneapolis region, not out in the sticks either. I was told there'd be no issue with eligibility in her senior year. Like I said in the other thread, they asked her to tryout, so she did. I asked the question about eligibility and they told me it's not an issue here. I guess we'll see when the time comes. But, I really doubt I've been lied to.

As far as my DD making Varsity: It's a rebuilding year, that's for sure. We'll take our lumps.

You're fine. Several schools have their own policies of not moving moving up junior high players, but MSHSL bylaws do allow 7th & 8th graders on varsity teams. This is DD's 5th season on varsity and that's fairly common here.

Good luck on your season!

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
In Kentucky MS kids in 7th and 8th grade play HS ball and the kids have 6 years of HS eligibility.

one of our pitchers is from KY. She's been pitching h.s. since 7th. Tell you what, she's a heck of a talent and the adversity of facing the older girls doesn't phase her one bit. As cool as the other side of the pillow (in honor of Stuart Scott; RIP)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01