Middle School girls playing High School ball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
In my northern Virginia school district, they allow 8th graders to play a HS sport if that sport is not offered in MS. Apparently, kids playing up can play JV or varsity, but I've only ever heard of kids playing JV.

Since there's no MS softball here, DD will likely be trying out for JV next year as an 8th grader.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I wished they allowed them to play in Illinois. We have a 7th grade SS who is currently getting interest from Oregon among others. While she wouldn't play SS on Varsity (current SS is a Sr. going Div. 1), they'd find a spot for her somewhere. Current Varsity team in ranked #5 in their class and at least could compete with any team in the state so it's not due to lack of talent. I believe she's still 12u eligible but has no problem hitting top 18U pitchers in our area.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD was told by the Varsity coach last year as a 7th grader that she would be a Varsity starter as a 7th grader if state rules applied. While my DD is developing into a solid player that speaks for the lack of overall talent in some locations in the country. Just 9 miles north most girls don't see varsity until 11th grade because of talent. All depends on where you live.

Apr 11, 2012
If the MS is not adjacent to the HS, how does the kid get there for practice and games? Here, perhaps 2 out of 10 HS's have the MS nearby. The kids have trouble making the bus from HS as it is. Seems like an impossible thing to me.

A pitcher at the private school that they cover in our newspaper allows playing up. Pitched for 6 years, and the sixth one was her worst. She has gotten super overweight and burned out. Last year was MVP.

to answer your brilliant question.....let's go with "a ride from a friendly and trusted licensed driver"....also you should refrain from "super overweight" comments on a girls fast-pitch site.....not to cool for a C team HS coach to say.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A player mentioned to me how good our HS Team was so I just got around to looking it up ... #183 in the state. They would probaly be #1 in Tennessee.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I don't know many parents who can drive kids around in the middle of the afternoon, and get kids reliably there at the start of rush hour from offices that are miles away.

Stay at home moms are still quite common in the Midwest. At least a few per team. Others do odds and ends and have very flexible schedules. No such thing as rush hour in many places.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Thats crazy, I've never heard of that.

I went to a 7-9 middle school and a 10-12 high school. The rule for us was if there was the sport at the middle school you couldn't play high school, if there wasn't you could but only in 9th grade. Of course, when I was in 9th I had to play middle school :mad: but by my senior year there were cuts at the middle school level so we had "freshmen" on the team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55