metal cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
DD's first-year 14U TB team mandated that players make the move to metal cleats. She hasn't played in them yet, but I'm hopeful that they will help a little with pitching, particularly front-side resistance. She's ready to give up MI and concentrate on pitching and OF because she's afraid of getting spiked.

Getting spiked is an urban legend. Metal spikes are not sharp. Maybe back in the day when dirty players would sharpen their spikes.

You are more likely to get injured by being stepped on. Not saying it isn’t going to hurt when somebody slides into you, but that’s going to hurt no matter what spikes the runner is wearing.

... and what Pattar said. Get the ball, touch the bag, get out of there. Why are you hanging out there?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Getting spiked is an urban legend. Metal spikes are not sharp. Maybe back in the day when dirty players would sharpen their spikes.

You are more likely to get injured by being stepped on. Not saying it isn’t going to hurt when somebody slides into you, but that’s going to hurt no matter what spikes the runner is wearing.

... and what Pattar said. Get the ball, touch the bag, get out of there. Why are you hanging out there?

I was slashed to the bone in a Legion game when I was 16...kid literally did a flying kick at me. I calmly took my glove off with ball inside it, and proceeded to throw it at his face. Huge brawl ensued as I walked off to be driven to the hospital. 21 stitches and a nasty scar. Metal spikes used maliciously are a mean bastard.

Apr 20, 2015

Hmm I'd tell that to my daughter's teammate who got a chunk taken out of her finger this weekend and the the slice out of my daughter's own cleat...none of that happened in all the yrs of softball before metals. Metal cleats are much thinner and while not knife sharp are much more likely to cause a slice type damage than the thicker molded cleat which causes more of an abrasion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Hmm I'd tell that to my daughter's teammate who got a chunk taken out of her finger this weekend and the the slice out of my daughter's own cleat...none of that happened in all the yrs of softball before metals. Metal cleats are much thinner and while not knife sharp are much more likely to cause a slice type damage than the thicker molded cleat which causes more of an abrasion

I am sorry to hear that. I am not saying it doesn't happen it just isn't something you should worry about. Instead concentrate on learning how to maneuver around the bag correctly and when you apply a tag get the tag down and then get your glove out of there (watch how Javier Baez applies a tag). My guess is that getting cleated probably happens more often at the younger ages when players are still learning these things. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a MLB player get cleated.

Apr 20, 2015
I am sorry to hear that. I am not saying it doesn't happen it just isn't something you should worry about. Instead concentrate on learning how to maneuver around the bag correctly and when you apply a tag get the tag down and then get your glove out of there (watch how Javier Baez applies a tag). My guess is that getting cleated probably happens more often at the younger ages when players are still learning these things. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a MLB player get cleated.
Now that I totally agree with!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA