metal cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
This was only four years ago. 😉
Exactly my point ;) To be honest I probably changed mine a bunch back then too but I don't remember having an issue doing it..but again that was 30 years ago so for all I know I had to call the fire department to change them out..

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
14u in my area.

My kid likes them. She feels like she gets a better push off when running/sprinting. She wears her crocs to the dugout and slips into them before practice/warm ups.

Apr 26, 2015
Yep 14U here too. DD much prefers them to the molded cleats. She only wears hers on the field - Crocs when not on the field. For us I haven’t noticed them wearing out much faster than metals. She usually wears a hole in the leather before wearing the spikes down.

Now - as far as hard on the body...hmmm. Dd did get cleated in the shin on a slide into 2nd that required 7 stitches - but other than that - no harder. First game wearing metals. Finished that game and played another before going to the hospital.

Dd is pretty picky about how the cleats are set up on the shoe. She found that she is more likely to twist her ankle with some styles.

Now - for track season She does have spikes that you can change the cleat part. Metal or plastics for different surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
The general consensus is 14u, but that isn’t entirely accurate. Consult the rule books you play under and the facilities you play at.

We run into problems in IESA (middle school NFHS in Illinois) with girls who play on 14u TB teams because IESA does not allow metal cleats. I do not know if that is state-specific in Illinois or nation-wide for elementary/middle school/junior high scholastic contests.

Also note that many (most?) turf fields will not allow metal cleats.

Nov 18, 2015
I went through 2 pairs of Nike’s (Ken Griffey Jr’s?) that had replaceable metal/plastic cleats - probably 2 sets of plastic cleats before I wore the shoe itself out.

And this was only 4-5 years ago. Swapped the cleats with a nut wrench or screwdriver. No Allen wrench, but still had to scrape off the dried dirt to get the tool all the way around the head.

The fear of catching a cleat or too much grip (i.e. tearing up a knee), while clearly more mental than anything, has always steered me clear of metal cleats. I never played an everyday schedule like you would in HS or college, but have never felt like molded cleats didn’t give me enough of a grip in dry or wet conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
DD's first-year 14U TB team mandated that players make the move to metal cleats. She hasn't played in them yet, but I'm hopeful that they will help a little with pitching, particularly front-side resistance. She's ready to give up MI and concentrate on pitching and OF because she's afraid of getting spiked.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's first-year 14U TB team mandated that players make the move to metal cleats. She hasn't played in them yet, but I'm hopeful that they will help a little with pitching, particularly front-side resistance. She's ready to give up MI and concentrate on pitching and OF because she's afraid of getting spiked.
I played SS for at least 7 years against kids wearing metal cleats and I didn't get cleated once..it helps to know what you are doing around the bag ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA