Metal cleats at 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Outside of turf fields how many of you play where 14U can't wear metal spikes during the games.

We play in a few tournaments where they don't allow them and it's caused more issues. We have emailed
the head of the organization and lobbied to allow them but he always says no metal.

Most teams comply but often other Travel teams don't read the rule and show up in metal. It's tough to
watch and see them play while we have kids in worn down rubber cleats or sneakers sliding around.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Are 14U is not allowed medal cleats. A little silly because a lot of them play school ball so they have a couple set of shoes.

Allowed for 16 and 18U.

Aug 6, 2013
We played in a tournament one fall my daughter was 1st year 14U - She had hurt herself the prior year slipping in a muddy circle while pitching and wrenched her back fairly badly she was out a good bit of the year.
So went to Metal cleats as soon as she could for better footing.

Her metal cleats were no problem at the tournament - Until she set down the sponsoring team 1-2-3 in the first inning, then they miraculously found that Metal cleats were not allowed and told the umpire - Luckily we had my daughters old plastic cleats in the car - 1/2 size to small - she wore them the rest of the game and her team went on to win.

Side note: we went to the TD after the game and asked him if Metal cleats were allowed, he said - "Yes for 14u and above" - I didn't say anything else but have never gone back to that tourney.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3 still has molded, but they are wearing out fast. First year 14u.
HC says he doesn't like 14u girls wearing metal, but guess whose DD has metal cleats? Not hypocracy, just I think his DD won that battle.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like we probably ought to keep the old ones in the back of the SUV once we make the switch. We played in a tournament this spring and had a pickup pitcher who normally plays up to 14U. She pitched the first inning (really well!) and then, all of a sudden, the other team's HC complained about her cleats. She had to use my DD's for two innings while her Dad ran to Wal-Mart. DD is a catcher, so they just couldn't play in the field simultaneously and had to switch shoes to hit. Was kind of funny, honestly, but a minor pain.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I always kept DD's old set of cleats in the truck. They saved our bacon more than once at an 8AM game, 1 hour from home and she gives me that look of "guess what I left at home?" :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So which brand do your girls prefer?

The ones that she felt were the most comfortable. Ringors are popular and DD loved them until she tried a pair of Nike's in college. Now at SC she wears UA and likes those. Not that one is better than the other, just a matter of personal preference and in some cases who has the contract with the school. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy