Mako/Rocketech comparison?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Was considering picking up an older, used Rocketech for 12U DD to use over the winter for batting practice, hitting dimpled balls, etc.
Being of aluminum construction and tough-as-nails reputation makes it an obvious choice to me.

She swings a 2015 33/23 -10 Mako right now.

I know the Mako runs over sticker weight (avg. 24oz according to our bat weight database - thanks EricF!)
but was surprised to read the weights of the Rocketechs.

I know the Rocketech is a -9 bat by design, but it looks like the 33/24 runs between 26-27oz, depending upon model year.
Being end-loaded and a few ounces heavier, I'm wondering if this is really the best choice?

Any other suggestions?
Maybe a 32" Rocketech?

She swings the Mako very well. Just bumped-up to the 33/23 Mako from 32/22 FS1 & FS2 this August.
Has no issues getting around on the ball, etc.
But her stature (5'8" 120#) doesn't really put her in the physical category of a power hitter using end-loaded bat, necessarily.

Is there any benefit to working with a heavier bat over the winter? (as long as swing mechanics don't break-down)

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My daughter has a 32/23 Rocketech that weighs in at 25.8 oz. She also swings a 32/23 LXT (backup) and a 32/22 Mako (infrequently). After using the LXT pretty much exclusively for the past two years, she switched to the Rocketech this fall.

There is no doubt the Rocketech is a heavy bat when holding it. It doesn't *swing* as heavy as it feels, due to the weighted end knob, but it's end-loaded and definitely heavier than a regular balanced composite bat. The Mako, as noted, is heavier than advertised, so she will probably not feel much difference between a 24oz (actual) Mako and a 25.8oz (actual) Rocketech.

Careful with the "tough as nails" description, as I have seen a couple of Rocketechs explode at the seam between the handle and barrel in cold weather. For indoor use with dimpled balls, you shouldn't have an issue.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
I bought one for BP for my DD and she uses it in games some now because of the results she saw in BP. Sweet spot is smaller than the 15 LXT but man that bat is hot. This bat is not a practice bat only to be discarded, IMO, if you have a good swing and can hit its a rocket launcher. Not for everyone though

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Also, DD works on TEE with a wooden bat 32 -2 and it does not effect her swing mechanics whatsoever and has increased her bat speed a lot! Great tool, she carries it with her for warm ups too. Teammates asked her why she had a wooden bat kind of snickered early in the year,,,,,mid season multiple girls had them. Like with the RT, not for everyone but its a great tool for the right hitter.

Mar 24, 2014
Posted earlier about considering getting a mako and was wondering about the -10 vs -9. Think the -9 is end loaded. My DD currently swings a 2013 Easton power brigade fx1 which is a -9 and end loaded.

She swings a 32"/23oz so was thinking about going with a 33/23 mako. She is 5'3" about 140lbs. People have commented the -10 mako feels a bit end loaded so thought keeping same weight but going up 1" in length.

Oct 10, 2011
Posted earlier about considering getting a mako and was wondering about the -10 vs -9. Think the -9 is end loaded. My DD currently swings a 2013 Easton power brigade fx1 which is a -9 and end loaded.

She swings a 32"/23oz so was thinking about going with a 33/23 mako. She is 5'3" about 140lbs. People have commented the -10 mako feels a bit end loaded so thought keeping same weight but going up 1" in length.
That sounds like a good move. The Mako will break in faster than the FX1 also.

Oct 10, 2011
33-10

Stick with the -9 end loaded or go with a -10 but 1 inch longer bat??? (I've heard that the -10 Makos have an end loaded feel and the -9 Makos are really end loaded)
I'd go 33 -10. Yes the -9 is very end loaded but the -10 feels really balanced to me at least, which will help with control of the extra inch. Also, the -10 breaks in faster than the -9. Our 33-9 FX1 weighed about the same as our 33-10 Mako, but an ounce lighter than our 33-9 Makos.

Dec 11, 2010
I'd go 33/23 in the Mako too.

What is odd to me is that despite being very similar in balance and weight, my little Anderson addict couldn't make a -9 Mako work for her. She ended up with a 33/23 Xeno which is a different bat altogether. To me Anderson and end loaded Easton should be closer cousins than Anderson and Louisville Xeno but it didn't work that way for us.

Edited to add: just got back from the field with the dd I described above. We did front toss, she used the -10 she has been using for a few weeks and a -9 that her older sister swings. She hit better and with the -10 and more distance. A lot more. She said the -9 didn't swing much different , I could not see a difference in bat speed but better results with the -10. Your mileage will vary, always, always, always swing as many different bats as you can, you might be Surprised what works best.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie