Making Changes towards all stars

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
For our all star team I will more likely be having two 10's playing at the 9-10 all star bracket that were pitching at the 12U level. When we do this what challenges will I be facing with them once throwing a 12 inch ball at 40 ft then coming down to a 11 inch ball at 35 feet??

What should be worked on??

Apr 13, 2013
DD really only has 1 pitch, FB, she plays with the flip change.

For grins when she was 10, I moved her back to 35’ and the 11” ball. She was throwing the pitches over my head so we stopped. (She had been pitching 40', with the 12" ball)

I am sure if we worked on it for ½ an hour she would have been fine.

I know some pitchers jump back and forth during the year but I would pick a ball and distance and stick with it for the short all-star season.

Last edited:
That's odd that they let you play down for All Star Pony anyway you have to play at least 6 games in the division you are going to play All Stars and pretty sure you can't play down if you have been playing up all year. Not to mention the talent level, we have a couple 12 yr olds that will make the 14U All Star team (they played up) it would be really unfair for them to play 12U.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
In LL, I have Majors pitchers that are eligible to play minor's All Stars. At least, that is what the coaches are telling me. I expect them to switch back to Minor's distance with no problem.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
That's odd that they let you play down for All Star Pony anyway you have to play at least 6 games in the division you are going to play All Stars and pretty sure you can't play down if you have been playing up all year. Not to mention the talent level, we have a couple 12 yr olds that will make the 14U All Star team (they played up) it would be really unfair for them to play 12U.

Actually its little league.

With the 12's that play at the 14U level thats the option for them to play a certain amount of games before they can make the decision to play either at the 14 or the 12U level. With the 10-11 or 9-10 div. they have to play at their age group for all-stars.

Actually last season with one of our Little Leagues they put together an all 10U team that played at the 12U level and didnt do so well. However this season they looked really good.

Play for the future.

Jul 17, 2012
Yes, Little League is different in that the girls MUST play in their age division. In our area, the primary groups are 9-10 and 11-12 age groups. 10 year olds are not eligible to play 11-12, even if they played the major division all year. My DD is in the same boat as yours WARRIORMIKE. She pitches in the major division during the season, but must play 9-10 for all stars. Our league doesn't participate in the 10-11 division.

Our schedule works in a way that we have 3 weeks from the end of the Major season to the time the 9-10 all stars begin. We'll switch to the 11" ball as soon as the season ends. Also told her PC and she said for the weeks following the regular season through all stars, she'll let her work with the 11" ball. I really don't forsee any issues going from the 12" to the 11" ball. In fact, I believe she'll pick up a few MPH and better spin with the small ball.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
Sounds a little like letting a team stay down in the fall to win trophies. What about the pitchers that pitched all season at the 10U age bracket. I guess they are told sorry no all stars for you we have two pitchers from the 12U age group moving back down to take your place. If the players aren't good enough to make the all stars in the age group they that pitched for the whole season, they should have either stayed down or wait till next year.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For our all star team I will more likely be having two 10's playing at the 9-10 all star bracket that were pitching at the 12U level. When we do this what challenges will I be facing with them once throwing a 12 inch ball at 40 ft then coming down to a 11 inch ball at 35 feet??

What should be worked on??

My DD has been switching between 40'/12" ball and 35'/11" most of the season. As long as she gets enough time for a solid warmup she has been fine. I was certainly more concerned about it than she was.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The pitchers will be fine with the switch. I would move them to the 35 foot distance, but there is no rush to get to an 11 inch ball, 100% of the time. The 12 inch ball helps them and is great for training. My students could throw for 90% of the lesson with their regular ball, and then, finish with the 11 inch - and still be great. I wouldn't even make too big of deal out of it.

I have 3 students that also need to move back to the 11 inch ball.

Jul 17, 2012
Sounds a little like letting a team stay down in the fall to win trophies. What about the pitchers that pitched all season at the 10U age bracket. I guess they are told sorry no all stars for you we have two pitchers from the 12U age group moving back down to take your place. If the players aren't good enough to make the all stars in the age group they that pitched for the whole season, they should have either stayed down or wait till next year.

Well, yeah. In a nutshell, it becomes about winning in the little league tournament. Regular season is about teaching and giving kids opportunities. When it comes to All-Stars, MANY kids will be left off rosters. It's a time to play the best of the best at each age group and learn a little about competition. Gives kids that make it a shot in the arm for working hard. They didn't get to good by sitting in front of the TV. They practiced. They put in the time. The kids that don't make it that WANT to be a part of it have something to work for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207