Maintaining DD high school field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
Has anyone helped maintain the pitching circle for your dd hs. Prior to the start of this season the circle was terrible. Pitching rubber was 2 inches below the ground around it. Maintance crew would usually just add some type of dirt,clay sand mixture to the field ever year. So there is a build up of dirt but the rubber stayed in place. So years later rubber 2 inches below. With permission and help from new head coach we have removed a lot of dirt to level the area so rubber is now flush.( you can actually see it now from the catchers position) Landing area is is a lot better then it use to be but was wondering if anyone has put in clay bricks to fix this. If this is the field that you pitch most of your games on wouldn't you like it to be the best as possible. I am not a control freak, you would not even realize that I am at the game. Just trying to help..

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If it is a permanent pitching plate try to get it pulled up a use a nail down plate. We had a permanent plate removed from our field a couple years ago, it just took a couple phone calls.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Clay bricks is the way to go. My DD is a power pitcher and liked the surface like concrete. We tilled it. compacted it, put bricks down, followed my a special blend that was compacted on top of the bricks. We also had the field laser graded during the process. Two years after she left it is still in pretty good shape. If you wait for the local maintenance folks to fix it you will be probably waiting a very long time.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
After every game, we will break out the hose, a good hard garden rake, and a 5 gallon bucket of red clay. Use the garden rake to bust up surrounding ground, mix in whatever red clay is needed to fill in the holes, wet it down a bit, tamp it down, and wet it a bit more. When it dries, it is hard as can be. Really and truly, we only have to add the dirt about every three games. We do the same to the batters box. The field is a 4" solid clay base with conditioner tilled in lightly on top. Holds up purty dang good.

Jun 2, 2012
As of right now I go up in the morning of the game rake it,wet down ,tamp, then wet again. Doing the best that I can. My daughter like a hard base to land on. Hates refilling the holes after two pitches. After the game she takes out the rake and uses the water from the cooler to wet down and ramps it. But like any HS kid she wants to get back with her mates who have left the field on their way to the locker room while and she down there fixing her circle.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
I help take care of the mound and infield at our school as DD1 is a SS and DD2 is pitcher. I got tired of divots the size of grapefruits and trenches on the mound affecting my girls and decided I was part of the solution. HS coach went out with me last summer to dig up bricks and redo portion worn out and they were in much better shape in high wear areas than either of us imagined.

You get out of it what you put into it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Clay bricks is the way to go. My DD is a power pitcher and liked the surface like concrete. We tilled it. compacted it, put bricks down, followed my a special blend that was compacted on top of the bricks. We also had the field laser graded during the process. Two years after she left it is still in pretty good shape. If you wait for the local maintenance folks to fix it you will be probably waiting a very long time.

I did the same when my dd was pitching. Still, in decent shape 6 or 7 years later although needs work again. We used big 4 sided rubber and buried it appropriately then added the brick in the landing area. We also added brick to the back side and side of the big block rubber. I think we only added a couple of rows on the back side and one block on the sides forming a kind of "T" with the pitching landing area. I donated much of the brick but school did buy some as well. I wanted it done the right way and they wanted it done half way. Ok by me.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
The school system and parks/rec are responsible for maintaining. I would first check to see if some lack of oversight is going on. Then ask if you can fix it with bricks (ask higher up or get coach to). Typically the boosters will help you. There are written guides from state or national NFHS to guide you on bricks. You can't just do what you want with pitching plates, building the ground area, etc. You can groom, add materials, cover with tarp for rain, etc.

The umps/ADs will typically not allow a nail-down plate at the Varsity level and only for emergencies at JV level.

If we waited for the school system to maintain our field it would still be a mess. We had a field day at the beginning of the season. Parents, players, coaches & families came out with tractors, sod cutters, rakes, etc. Spent the day bringing the field up to snuff then ended the day with a potluck barbecue.

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
If you do not have a good base, clay bricks are the way to go. For regular maintenance, you need some buckets or bags of clay.

After a game or practice:
1) Sweep or rake the loose dirt from the holes & grooves around pitching circle and batter's boxes
2) Lightly water those areas with a watering can, weed sprayer with just water, or hose - Have also used leftover gatorade/water bottles :)
3) Add clay to those areas until level
4) Tamp
5) Rake loose dirt over packed clay
6) Water

The key is to do it daily or at least after each practice or game. Yes, it is a lot of work. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish