lost in bat terminology please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2012
Which do you prefer composite,alloy,one-piece or two piece bat.

Heard a parent talking about having there daughters bat shaved or rolled. What does this mean. So many questions for/about softball
Any help would be great!:confused:

Jul 26, 2010
Shaving and rolling is an illegal practice of altering a bat to improve performance. Basically it's daddy making up for daughters lack of skill.

Composites have replaced alloys for the vast majority of applications in the last 7 years or so, although there are still a few companies hanging onto alloy technology, such as Rocketech and Rip-it.

2 piece bats are generally easier on the hands and more expensive, although they are more fragile and prone to breaking if used more then one season or in a batting cage.

Local rec rules may dictate what kind of bat is allowed for play in your league, but for travel ball the alphabet soup organizations have their stickers on the bats.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
Get caught useing a shaved bat and there goes the season for that player,hurt someone useing a shaved bat and there could go some of your freedom and money.You need to tell the that parent,you dont have room on the team for thier dd if she is going to use a shaved bat.starsnuffer is right daddy's little girl needs to learn how to bat,not cheat.Those parents that do that really Pi$$ me off,go out and work hard on learning how to hit,put the countless hours , thousands of balls hit and sacrifice that it takes to be better.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Shaving is when someone removes the end cap of a aluminum bat.Then removes"shaves'' the inside of the bat to make it lighter.Why do that you ask? Example you can have a 32" bat the may weigh 17ozs.VERY ILLEGAL should report any person using a bat thats been shaved.
Rolling a bat is where a press is used to speed up the break in period.ILLEGAL should be reported.
Teach a DD the proper swing sequence and there is no need to CHEAT and yes this is CHEATING.This also can get someone hurt maybe my DD maybe your DD.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Get caught useing a shaved bat and there goes the season for that player,hurt someone useing a shaved bat and there could go some of your freedom and money.You need to tell the that parent,you dont have room on the team for thier dd if she is going to use a shaved bat.starsnuffer is right daddy's little girl needs to learn how to bat,not cheat.Those parents that do that really Pi$$ me off,go out and work hard on learning how to hit,put the countless hours , thousands of balls hit and sacrifice that it takes to be better.

Season? In ASA, you may be banned up to 5 years.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Shaved bat is thinning the interior of the bat so it has a more trampoline effect. Almost impossible to get caught so the HC and player are going to miss a year of softball if they are caught when the bat explodes. Run from any parent that even suggests this.

Hope I explain this right. Tiny fractures occur in the interior of composite bats when the ball is hit, eventually the bat gets “hotter”. Rolling a bat produces these fractures without having to hit the ball. It is cheap to do but the Player is better of just practicing with the bat and you will have the same effect on the bat but the Player will be able to hit the ball. People have come up with clever ways to do this but the manufacture can tell if a bat has been rolled, not sure about officials at a game.

Edited to add: For shaved bats you will see wording like only to be used in homerun contests or demonstrations.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would never do it, but rolling a bat doesn't make it any "hotter" than a bat with the proper bat on ball break in period.

I realize gloves don't have the chance of hurting someone, but we spend as much time and $$$ making them feel "broke in" and more productive, we don't wait until the glove does it on its own over 100 games.

Again, I wouldn't roll a bat. Plus we use RT's anyway. I've just heard some good arguments over the years from both sides of the aisle.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My HC father was suspended for 1 game this year because one of his LL players was caught using an illegal bat. I wasn’t there but apparently he was walking off the field after the game and was told he was suspended. Everyone thinks it is funny accept for him and the parent’s of the player that brought the bat to the game. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1